Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is warm or cold best?

Chicabelle

Reaction score
My tank is naturally about 14-15C (about 57F) but it does often drop a bit colder over night. I thought this was a little cold so I bought an aquarium heater only to find the lowest temperature it will do is 20C. Is it better to leave the tank without the heater (slightly colder than recommended) or add the heater and keep it at a constant 20C? At the current temp my to little ones are a bit dormant to say the least!

danchristopher

Reaction score
They are naturally dormant anyway and will spend hours sitting in the same spot. My advice would be to not add the heater. If you really wish to keep a more constant temp, find a heater than can go down to something more like 16 degrees which would suit them better. They thrive in cool waters, 14-15 degrees sounds perfect actually. In nature they would experience temperature drops at night anyway so it is totally normal.

GazerOfStars

Reaction score
I agree with Dan here. In fact people tend to worry more when there tanks get too warm rather than cold!

If 20 c is the lowestet your heater will go you should avoid using it. Your Axies will be fine as long as it doesn't get close to freezing! :p

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Mid-50's is no problem at all for these guys. I've had ice skim my tanks with no problem.

Dakkagor

Reaction score
have to agree, they do alot beter in cold water than warm. My tank temperatures are about the same and the little monsters seem fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1