Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: H. Oriantalis cloudy eyes and trouble swallowing

fire_newt

Reaction score
My female HO has recently developed cloudy eyes and appears to have trouble swallowing. I tried to feed her today and she seemed anxious to grab the food, she tossed it back and forth a bit and looked like she tried to swallow it but after a few tries ended up spitting it out. I'v noticed that she seems lethargic and has spending most of her time out of the water (I assumed this was caused by stress because I just bought her). Also I'v noticed that when she takes a breath (when she's in the water) she'll go under the surface and gulp 2 or 3 times. Please let me know what you guys think.

fire_newt

Reaction score
I went through and read the Caudata Culture and found the illness/sickness section. "cloudy eyes: Can be due to (1) injury (2) infection (3) diet (4) shedding problem (5) exposure to toxin."

1. She doesn't seem to be outwardly injured, and I don't see how she could have been injured internally.
3. I'm feeding waxworms at the moment as the group that I just bought were a little under nourished when I got them, I know that wax worms are fattening and high in protein.
5. I don't believe there has been any exposure to toxins, my ammonia reader is telling me that everything is A-OK and the other 2 don't seem to be having any problems.

so that leaves:
2. There is a possibility that she has an infection. The process of getting her from WA to MT was probably stressful and it could have effected her immune system. (though I don't know how to go about treating it)
4. There could be a shedding problem as her skin has been quite shiny. I noticed this at the pet store but I just thought she was getting ready to shed. I'v noticed that they other 2 have shed already, but I can't say for sure if she has or not.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated

fire_newt

Reaction score
helloooooo... again. I went to the petstore and had my water tested, of which everything cam back normal so that just leaves the potential of an infection. I picked up some all natural pimafix, of which it's single active ingredent is Pimenta racemosa (suggested by one of the employees). Before I go hog-wild and start dousing everything in the tank that moves is this ok to use on newts?

kay

Reaction score
Hi, I will try and be some help here. Firstly, how many animals do you have in your tank? Just the one. I know you said you have checked your water parameters, but just double check that your temperature isn't too high.

As for pimafix, I am not sure what that is, or what it is used for, but I am under the impression that many of the anti-fungal, bacteria, and infection treating solutions currently sold at petstores are meant for use on fish and are generally not very helpful.

Since you visited the illness identifying section on caudata culture, did you also take a look at the different treatments that are listed?

My suggestion to you is first take a look all this, and then try and take your animal to a vet that has knowledge working with amphibians. This is really the only effective way to determine if your animal is sick, what is exactly wrong. We can speculate on our end that it might be bacterial or fungal, yet we have no way to testing for the specific type, only a vet can, and then you can plan the appropriate medical treatment accordingly.

Good luck.

Last edited:

fire_newt

Reaction score
Hello, Thanks for the reply. I currently have 3 H.O's in the same tank, and the temperature has been at a steady 65 F. Pima fix is a treatment for fungal infections, is all natural, and the research I have been doing lately has told me that it won't hurt newts, but it isn't always successful in treatment. I did ask their facebook page....Yes they have a facebook page :D.... What they thought about the use on amphibians but they haven't gotten back to me yet. Also, I did look through the illness identification and I looked through the treatments, but I am unsure of what to do. I'm thinking this is a bacterial (or possibly fungal... ?) But these would be my options:

Amikacin- Combination of amikacin + pipercillin is a combination of choice, more effective than kanamycin.
Silvadene cream (silver sulfadiazine)- A sulfa-derived antibiotic with both anti-bacterial and anti-fungal activity. Used in treating skin lesions
Polymyxin E (colistin sulfate)- An antibiotic used to treat livestock. Effective against gram-negative bacteria. Used topically, not injected.
Myxazin-Broad-spectrum bactericide sold for aquarium fish.
Furan-2- Broad-spectrum antibiotic sold for aquarium fish. Active ingredients: nitrofurazone, furazolidone, methylene blue.
Triple Sulfa (tri-sulfa)-Broad-spectrum antibiotic sold for aquarium fish. Active against both bacteria and fungus. Active Ingredients: sulfamethazine, sulfacetamide, and sulfathiazole
Kanamycin (kanacyn)-Broad-spectrum antibiotic sold for aquarium fish.
Nitrofurazone (nitrofura, Furacyn)- Broad-spectrum antibiotic sold for aquarium fish.

I'll have to go back to the store tomorrow and see if I can't find one of the above. I don't know if anyone is familiar with the listed medicines, but I would like to know which one would work the best.

Unfortunately I do not have an exotic vet where I live (I'll call around on Monday and see if there is one I don't know of)

kay

Reaction score
Ok well you should for sure separate the sick one from the rest. You don't want to risk the others getting sick. And my point is that you're just guessing at this point. Fungus, and bacterial are two very different things and therefore the treatments needs to be appropriate. You should at least post a picture so those who have more experience will be better able to help you.

That's the best advice I can give you for now because I am not a vet so I am unable to tell you exactly what's wrong and how to treat.

If you do decide to take treatment upon yourself, look through older threads on here because numerous people have had this problem and have gotten advice for.

Kay.

fire_newt

Reaction score
the tank has been under my intense vigilance for the last few days and I've noticed that my other female is starting to get a slight cloud to her eyes. The male still seems ok and he hasn't slowed down at all (it's hard for me to tell with the other female as she is rather shy. My best guess from reading the posts (and your provided posts) is that this is some sort of communicable infection. I'll pull the male out, but if it is communicable it is very likely that he has it too (he just isn't showing any signs). I was reading through the illness and sickness article and I read the Furan 2 is a sort of "cure all". I'v attached photos of the first female. Thanks for the support.

Attachments

• IMG_8404.jpg
    IMG_8404.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_8405.jpg
    IMG_8405.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 360
  • IMG_8406.jpg
    IMG_8406.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_8408.jpg
    IMG_8408.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_8409.jpg
    IMG_8409.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 294
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!