Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Anyone ever kept white cloud minnows with newts?

Attenborough

Reaction score
I was thinking of adding a few(4-5) white cloud mountain minnows to my 29 gallon noto tank. Is this a bad idea? I don't want to scare the newts out of the water, although I did collect them from a lake that has blue gill and trout.

Shadow

Reaction score
I was thinking of adding a few(4-5) white cloud mountain minnows to my 29 gallon noto tank. Is this a bad idea? I don't want to scare the newts out of the water, although I did collect them from a lake that has blue gill and trout.

Mixing fish with newts can sometimes mean disaster. However, people have successfully kept Minnows with Fire Belly Newts.

Caudata Culture Articles - Species Mixing Disasters

Caudata Culture Articles - Fish with Caudates

These may help.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
White clouds are perfectly fine with notos. The babies you'll undoubtedly get will be a nice snack for your newts.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1