My3sons found a salamander

My3Sons

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Mama Dean
My3sons found a salamander - Batrachoseps, need help

In a desperate attempt to save it from being man handled to death (or killed by our dog), I set up a terrarium with our old fish tank. I knew that salamanders need a cool moist environment so I put a layer of rocks. put some water on the rocks. Then I put a layer of dirt down on top of rocks and water, building a sort of hill on one end of dirt. I put down brush and bark. there is a lower end where the dirt tapers off into a sort of small shallow rock pound. It seems to be staying moist.

I think it is a Batrachoseps or California Slender Salamander. but I could be wrong (since I have no clue what I am doing.)

I then sent husband off to store for worms to feed it. He went grumbling all the way about spending money on something we found in our back yard.

It appears to be a slender salamander. very small and all black. I am sure I am doing something wrong here and would love advise.

I have been feeding it meal worms from the store. I find a wiggly one and drop it in front of Bob...I cover the cage...he wont move if its uncovered.

I have always had a soft spot for frogs and lizards and salamanders etc. But my mother never let me keep the ones I found. I would really like to give this salamander a good home. The boys have named him Bob Marley. Would love advice.

I am pretty sure the tank isnt large enough and I probably do not have it set up right. The pet store said meal worms is fine to feed it (its very small)...but how often do I feed it, how much. Do I need to change the dirt in the terrarium? Soooo many questions.

Last edited:
A photo and your general region would help ID it for sure. Otherwise, that sounds like a decent general setup. Just remember to keep it cool.

Here is a picture of Bob
stuff013.jpg

stuff015.jpg

and tank set up (very small I know I need something bigger).
stuff020.jpg

Found in San Mateo County, California. Slipped in under our basement door while it was raining, found in a rain gutter we have down stairs to help direct ground water drainage.

our home temp upstairs is around 64 degrees night and day. The basement is a bit cooler. He should probably move down there but I fear that away from my watchful eye my sons will try to get him to do tricks or something. Down stairs is always cool as it is half below ground basement.

Last edited:
I went to californiaherps.com and I would agree with your guess of this being a slender salamander (you'll find the specific species under Batrachoseps in the link). And it doesn't seem to be on any of the states endangered lists. The rest of this information I found on ehow.com so I don't know how reliable it is, but if I'm wrong someone with more experience will come through and correct me. I have posted both the links below for you to use. Great find and good luck!

How to Care for the California Slender Salamander | eHow.com
California Salamanders

on the ehow website it says you need a fishing license to own one, but if you or your husband has one your all set! although i doubt your going to get in any trouble if he doesnt aha

HA! a fishing license??? I wouldn't stress over it too much their pretty common. If anything ever did happen just say it belongs to one of your sons "A current California Freshwater Sport Fishing License is needed by any resident or non-resident 16 years of age or older to take, or collect, reptiles and amphibians in California, except for rattlesnakes, which are not protected by law.

California Laws Regarding Reptiles and Amphibians

yes no one is too fond of rattle snakes ahaha

That's not true! I like rattlesnakes just fine.

As for setup, these guys don't really seem to need any standing water, just nice damp soil and lots of places to hide. You can use pottery, or pieces of cork-bark.

Mealworms are best if they're freshly moulted. You'll have good luck with tiny earthworms and small invertebrates like crickets.

I dont think he likes the meal worms. And he ignores anything I offer him on tweezers. He freezes up. Still isnt comfortable around me. I have my sons searching for pill bugs in the yard and will throw a few in the space. We are going to get him a bigger tank. I am gonna skip the water and just put a small shallow dish with rocks in the corner for water. Mostly dirt, moss and covering for him to hid in. Advice welcome.

Sounds like you're on the right path. Lots of small, moving food will do. Get a big butterfly net and sweep it through some tall grass.

I've never heard of anyone keeping these guys as pets, but I don't see why you shouldn't be able to.

Well one salamander quickly became two salamanders. I got the call last week that the boys found another california slendar salamander under the door of our basement during the rain. I came home to find "Bob" had a new buddy Larry.

Since i read that they do better when there is more than one, I let them keep it.
Today I get the call that they found another...only this one is HUGE...and they put it in with bob and larry.

I come home...check out the new guy "jeff". Jeff is indeed much much larger than bob and larry...and has different markings and appears to have a different body style. Jeff was much larger, thicker but oddly, not as long as bob and larry. Bob and Larry (called "worms with legs by my nephew") were much much longer than bob...but still much Smaller.

P1000856.jpg

Curious, i go to californiaherps.com and check out our new buddy.
He is not a Cali Sal...he is a Arboreal Salamander.

Under the food section they list what Arboreals like to eat...crickets, worms, etc...oh and CALIFORNIA SALAMANDERS!!!! My husband was researching bigger terrariums...and i told him no need. Jeff has returned to my rose trees. I explained to the boys Jeff had a special mission...to keep the aphids on my roses in check. I also told them that unless they are SURE of what they have found...not to put new salamanders in with Bob and Larry. EEK
P1000845.jpg

Not - Bob and Larry do not stay in a bowl. I put them in there carefully while i cleaned out their moss and put fresh moss in tonight. We were going to buy a bigger tank for all three...but now that I know jeff is likely to eat bob and larry...well jeff goes back outside to earn his keep and bob and larry continue to live in the lap of luxury.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back