Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New to the amphib world

My3Sons

Reaction score
My 3 sons found a California Slender Salamander in our back yard. In a desperate attempt to save it from being man handled to death (or killed by our dog), I set up a terrarium with our old fish tank. I knew that salamanders need a cool moist environment so I put a layer of rocks. put some water on the rocks. Then I put a layer of dirt down on top of rocks and water, building a sort of hill on one end of dirt. I put down brush and bark. there is a lower end where the dirt tapers off into a sort of small shallow rock pound. It seems to be staying moist.

I think it is a Batrachoseps or California Slender Salamander. but I could be wrong (since I have no clue what I am doing.)

I then sent husband off to store for worms to feed it. He went grumbling all the way about spending money on something we found in our back yard.

It appears to be a slender salamander. very small and all black. I am sure I am doing something wrong here and would love advise.

I have been feeding it meal worms from the store. I find a wiggly one and drop it in front of Bob...I cover the cage...he wont move if its uncovered.

I have always had a soft spot for frogs and lizards and salamanders etc. But my mother never let me keep the ones I found. I would really like to give this salamander a good home. The boys have named him Bob Marley. Would love advice.

I am pretty sure the tank isnt large enough and I probably do not have it set up right. The pet store said meal worms is fine to feed it (its very small)...but how often do I feed it, how much. Do I need to change the dirt in the terrarium? Soooo many questions.

I have always liked snakes, lizards, frogs, newts and salamanders. As a little girl my mother would always be yelling "get that thing out of my house." I never got to have a pet amphib...lots of rabbits, kitties, dogs, chickens...but never a frog, salamander, turtle, lizard or snake etc.

So when my sons found this little guy in our basement (he had slipped under the door during a rain storm...and asked me if they could keep him... i started to yell "get that thing out of my house"...then remembered all the times my mother said it to me. So here I am, trying to care for a salamander the boys mostly ignore. I have grown rather attached to the fellow. I am sure I am making a complete hash out of caring for him. - i posted pics in the help thread... any advice welcome.

eminem

Reaction score
welcome to the forum! im pretty new my self so i cant help out alot but im pretty sure meal worms arent very good to feed it, i could be wrong but i think there very high in fats, earth worms are probably better and you can get them for free! also if you find out for sure what kind it is there is alot of info already on this site :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1