Hand-made ceramic decor safe?

brtnykys

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey everyone! I am taking a ceramics course at my college and am excited at the thought that I can create my own custom axie decor. I asked my ceramics instructor if it is safe to put ceramic creations in a fish tank and she said it will be fine as long as it is fired in a particular way (apparently some methods of ceramic glazing and firing will degrade in an aquatic environment and some will not). I do trust her opinion but I wanted to ask this community for re-assurance that glazed ceramic is okay for an axie tank specifically.

I would find out the ingredients in the glaze, find out if they are a leeching kind of material. But ceramic itself should be fine, the glaze maybe fine too.

Yes, I will ask her tomorrow what the glaze is made out of. I'm sure it will be fine but I will be sure to compile a lit of ingredients in the glazes I wish to use and the clay and see what I kind find online about the toxicity of the materials. I am curious to hear if there are others who have experience with making ceramic tank decor themselves.

If both the ceramic and glaze are considered food-safe, then they should be animal-safe.

Yeah, my instructor emphasizes that high fire ceramic firing and the appropriate glazes that we will be using to create our tea bowels is a utility-grade process that is food safe and so should be tank safe. Just thought I would get confirmation. Thanks.

A high fire glaze would be ok, as long as it is classified FOOD SAFE. What ever you do, DO NOT use a raku glazed pot in your tank as the glazes are toxic and not food safe. Materials that you need to watch out for in your glazes are Barium,copper, manganese, frits (as is could contain lead), chrome and lithia (of course there are other, but this will give you a rough idea). Also, do not use stains, as these are very high in metal levels (and are usually derived from smelted materials)

Another tip: do not use pieces that have pinholing (I'v attached a picture) or from pieces that have run over the pots foot as these can be rough and sharp and could hurt your newts.

http://0.tqn.com/w/experts/Pottery-2316/2010/04/glazed-pot.jpg

Wow thank you so much for your insight... I had not even thought about pinholling. I will write all of this down!

pinholing shouldn't be a big issue (just make sure you mix your glaze well before you put it on your pots). Most pin holing is smooth to the touch, but every once in a while you'll get the rough stuff. Post pictures when your all done, I want to see what you come up with!

I certainly will post pics...if all works out well it will be cool! Also I would like to know if I can attach moss onto my ceramic decorations, do you know if tying it down with fishing wire will work? Should I create some sort of texture so that the moss can attach better? Also I am at a loss as to whether I should buy flame moss, christmas moss or java moss. Just thought I would ask in case you know off the top of your head. Thanks!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back