P. waltl on land

Kaspar Wendelin

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
A friend of mine has been some in spain looking for P. waltl in various ponds, he found lots of larvae but no adults. Not a single specimen and he is at very good field herper. So what are the prospects in keeping the species on land. I have sadly lost most all of my animals and only have one male left. Also a bit out of tank space i have been thinking of keeping that single male in land for a time. A least until spring and then I can keep him out on the balcony. I have a number of tigers living in the basement af 16-18 C, and the waltl male could get a spot in the rack next to them.

Anyone know what på feed P. waltl while on land? The tigers I mostly feed woodlice and worms since I have allergies for most commericaly produced insects.

(I know my written english has degraded to barely human)

Some keepers put them into a terrestrial setup during winter. Sometimes they're kept in a plastic container with a thin layer of dirt and a bunch of worms. It is said that keeping a waltl fully aquatic throughout the year will exhaust it and will shorten his lifespan, but I really don't know if this is true.

That concern is most common in species that have well defined terrestrial periods, but P.waltl doesn´t when conditions permit. If they have access to permanent water that is adequate for them they will remain aquatic year-round and the juveniles may even not go on land during morphing. Even when they inhabit temporary water masses, they may try to find a new water mass once the one they inhabited dries out. Seeing P.waltl with a clearly defined terrestrial period is rather restricted to areas where they are forced to aestivate.
I would not be particularly concerned about keeping them aquatic their entire lifes, as this is something that frequently happens in nature too.

I have 2 ribbed newts in a 30 gallon aquarium, it's very heavily planted and there's a nice piece of cork for them to get out of the water....but, they don't want to be out of the water! The only time they've ever gotten out was when one of them was hurt when he got out of a previous tank. Now they just swim and play with each other....I realize how observant they are because as soon as they see me near the tank they come quickly to watch me! They've grown so much these last 2 years and love live earth worms from my garden as well as blood worms, newt pellets and shrimp pellets.

I have 1 tiny juvie SRN - he's always swimming. Doesn't seem distressed but VERY active... is that normal?

yes they love to swim I keep mine in a tank very well planted it also has floating cork bark so they can get out if they want to but most of the time they rest on the plants watching the world go by the all know when its feeding time they swim over and wait for the food with open mouths

Hi The only time I found mine become terrestrial is when the tank gets warm in summer and they find a gap in the lid that you just assume is too small for large animals. The last time the wife gave me some very choice words when she found one sitting on the cold concrete slab on the front door step. I now drop the water level by a few inches in hot weather. So far so good?

I raised my pair from eggs and they are now 2 years old and constantly move around the tank they never leave the water and usually hund under the slate slab I have on the bottom raised up to allow access the female is more active and bolshy that the male. They are laying like mad at present. the tank is in the summer house, and got very warm this year, but they never attempted to move
onto the land so i took the platform out to give more swimming space.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back