Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Greedy newt

eminem

Reaction score
I have been feeding my newts with tweezers lately and both of the newts were going for the same food so the one newt bit the other! this has never happened before to me. they are the same species Chinese fire bellied newts, could he just have been very hungry? it seemed to startle the other newt and he went into hiding, actually I thought i saw this before when they weren't eating. they are both males could this be a territorial thing? do i need a bigger cage? when it comes time to eat should i put the problematic newt in a separate container?

evut

Reaction score
This is normal - they just get very excited when they smell food and bite whatever is near. All my newts (also non-aggressive species) do it. Sometimes it looks pretty bad when they start twisting each other's limbs but I've never seen injury. It would be a good idea to keep an eye on the shy newt to make sure it gets enough to eat which should be easy as you are tweezer feeding.

AngieD

Reaction score
We have seen ours nipping each other by accident at feeding time, don't worry about it unless it turns into a full scale brawl! One or 2 have even tried to bite our fingers at feeding time

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1