Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: My axolotl juvies have stoped eating

Stonkimetric

Reaction score
Help any one please there not taking food there about 4/5 weeks old have been perfectly fine until yesterday they just stoped eating there not taking live brine shrimp or dead bloodworms now there just lifeless some are swiming upside down i dont know what to do :(

Munchausen

Reaction score
You said lifeless. Are some axolotls already dead? Or did you mean the bloodworms are dead?

What is the water temperature? Do a water test. How are the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate readings?

Stonkimetric

Reaction score
Yes the axolotls are not moving ive tested the water all levels are at 0 temp is usual a steady 18c they burst into life every now and then to gasp for air but other than than nothing ive placed them into a fride for a few hours to see if this help them ive raised them from eggs and i havent changed a single paramiter :/

Ed

Reaction score
Yes the axolotls are not moving ive tested the water all levels are at 0 temp is usual a steady 18c they burst into life every now and then to gasp for air but other than than nothing ive placed them into a fride for a few hours to see if this help them ive raised them from eggs and i havent changed a single paramiter :/

If you are not seeing any ammonia, nitrite or nitrate, then I would check that your test kit is working correctly. It is incrediably rare to not see any levels of those three parameters particularly when your feeding dead bloodworms. Are you using the dip strips?

Ed

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
How did you test the water? What parameters did you test? How often do you do water changes?

The fridge isn't a 'few hour' solution. They can get stressed by putting them in/taking them out of the fridge because of the swings in temperatures.

They're probably getting too big to eat brine shrimp. You should try some live wiggling food.

Stonkimetric

Reaction score
Ok im using the testtube type kit of witch i have two seperat kits also including a copper test an iron GH and KH as i breed crystal red shrimp and cherry red shrimp im using water from my RO filter but so its only passed through the pre filter and charcole side beacuse i know pure Ro water is to soft i still add a little water conditioner just to be on the safe side i change 25% to 50% of water a hour or so and remove any food that looks like its turning funky the nitrate ppm was in the 0-5 range but so is the water i use to do a water change with im sure after the foods been in there a hour or so the amonia might creep up slightly but thats why i do a small water change a hour or so after and then again several hours latter on , also what the next stage food wise my brine shrimp are in various sizes from adult to baby so some are a fair size ? Thank you everyone for your input :)

Ed

Reaction score
Do you test for phosphate at all? Carbon leaches phosphates and they have been shown to cause issues with bone formation in several taxa of amphibians in institutional collections..particularly when there is already a source of phosphate in the water.

Ed

Stonkimetric

Reaction score
:( ...... No i hadent thought of that but thank you for the info ill definatly follow up on that see if i can find a test ,what i can only see being the only resonable explanation to there sudden turn for the worst is that i was carrying out some work on my car on saturday and i can only assume that some how ive carryed some polutants in to there tank on my hands even though i was wearing gloves could of been the barrier cream that i had on .i had washed my hands several times over the hours before i even did anything to do with them who knows im thinking about adding a carbon bubble filter into there tank just in case after the water changes there might be some thing left how long should they be kept chilled for ? A few seem more responsive where as some others do nothing but you can still see there lil hearts beating but they refuse to move will they eat while chilled ? When should i take them out ?

Stonkimetric

Reaction score
Well sad to say i dont think any of them are going to make it and the few that are left are weak and lifeless Any one know if clove oil has the same effect as on fish ? As i vant bear to see them suffer any longer ?

Ed

Reaction score
Clove oit, benzocain hydrochloride, and ethanol all work well.

There are a number of potential issues from the car and possibly the soap that could cause issues (did you see an oil slick form on the surface of the water?
Ed

Stonkimetric

Reaction score
Clove oit, benzocain hydrochloride, and ethanol all work well.

There are a number of potential issues from the car and possibly the soap that could cause issues (did you see an oil slick form on the surface of the water?
Ed

No i saw nothing ed this is the problem i have , i think im going to leave them a bit longer as the one i thought was dead showed signs o life when i picked him up with a plastic spoon. Is there any way i can force feed them ? Just so i know some things getting in there tummys as the just seen to powerless to feed ?

Stonkimetric

Reaction score
Axies dieing please help

Have lost 3 now only 4 left there not eating water conditions with in limmits 18c temp but yet ther not eating and slowly dieing

Stonkimetric

Reaction score
02da631a-72a0-bedf.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1