Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Help save a saved axie!!!

animus ONE

Reaction score
Hello everyone i need a little advice on getting this axolotl that i saved a couple weeks ago.its still a juvenile and about 6-7.5 inches long. everything seemed good until about 5 days ago when a little after his water change i noticed that his gill filaments looked dark and clumped together. the next day when came home from work they were barely visible ,like they had fallen off or shrank a whole lot , i have read that if the oxygen is abundant in the water that there is less need for longer filaments and since i had added a few live plants a week before i assumed that was the cause. what made me concerned was when i brought home some live blackworms ,after 6 hours he had only ate just a few, if any at all.his appetite has been a healthy one till now. since then i have kept a close eye on him and he seems to have gone from active and hungry and full long filaments, to having no appetite, almost filaments at all and dam near lethargic if he wasnt taking so many trips up for a gulp of air. i dont know what to do for him, looks horrible,he has what i think is some type of FUNGUS eating away at his stalks, and refuses all food .any ideas? i just took him out of his second saltbath and it seems to be helping but he is still getting worse faster than it could heal. am i too late? oh and the water parameters looked good temp was at 60'F with 20% water changes every 3-4 days but as of three days ago he has been back in a tub with about 80% water changes daily and currently doing saltbaths every 12 hours * ill be putting a pic up asap* thanks in advance for any input people it is greatly appreciated .

Attachments

• IMG_1540.jpg
    IMG_1540.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_1533.jpg
    IMG_1533.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_1528.jpg
    IMG_1528.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 209

animus ONE

Reaction score
sorry if that was unclear i was half awake. i guess what im asking is ...is this common ? what options do i have? could i have misdiagnosed him ? , and how worried should i be ?

danchristopher

Reaction score
:( I'm sorry to hear of your loss. It might be possible the blackworms contaminated his water somehow... did you rinse them before putting them in his tank? Sometimes these things just happen and it's hard to determine any cause. Good on you for trying to rescue him regardless.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!