Attacked by tank mate :(

Nightteare

Reaction score
Country
Chile
Hello, I have two axies in the same tank, one is a golden albino, and the other is a wild type. I found this morning that my wild type had no extremities on the left side (no leg, no arm).

I separated them by a net on the middle, but still in the same tank. But I'm worried about her. I feed them both today, and the injured one ate normally, but she doesn't move, either swimm, I think she hasn't balance :(. Maybe she'll not be able to get to the surface to get air ><.

Could you give me any advice, I don't want her to die.. I'm just in love with them both ><

Last edited:
how often and what do you feed them?

They usually use their tails when swimming up for air, for that big push. Keep in mind they also have gills, which are their main source of gas exchange.

If she's eating, that's a good sign! Keep the tank cool and clean, and she should grow them back in no time.

Thx you! I usually feed them with californian red worm, what else could I try, I also have a Plodia culture, worms should appear in one month. Is there any dry food they could accept?

I hope she regenerate at least one part ASAP, it makes me so sad to see her just laying in the the bottom :(

I hope she regenerate at least one part ASAP, it makes me so sad to see her just laying in the the bottom :(

Mine lost a foot a couple weeks back and must admit am pretty amazed with how quickly it is healing, she is now trying to use the limb again although still a way to go yet :happy:

Hope yours recovers soon x

I hope mine regenerate it as soon as yours <3

You can try a good quality soft sinking carnivore pellet. Hikari makes a decent one. Earthworms are a good staple though.

The problem is to find something good here in Chile :/

earthworms are always good, and they should be very easy to get hold of.
Have you thought about ways to prevent this happening again in the future? (size of the tank, hides, etc)

Hope your axie heals up, and they should in no time :D

When I first brought my axolotl home, she had only one arm. She sort of "crawled" by using her one arm and pushing with her tail. Certainly wasn't as active as she is now, though.

My axolotl took two months to show really good limb re-growth - so don't worry if it's not super-fast.

She's at two and a half months now and her limbs look great, but I can see where they still need to thicken and lengthen if I look closely.

Just watch out for fungus and problems with the wound site until that heals over.

my both axies are about 8-9cm, and my tank is 80x40x25h. I have hides for them, well and I wanna think they're a pair (male and female). I just don't know why this happened. I will have them separated until she grows back her leg and/or arm.

Hi!,
my axie is doing better, today I saw her swimming to the surface and grab some air, I was so happy, I hope she recovers as soon as I expect :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back