Breeding for the 'lavender' trait/pure white leucistics

Silver

Reaction score
Country
United States
Browsing the forums, I've come across a few axolotls who were lavender in color. They're absolutely gorgeous and I'd like to breed for that trait alone someday. What is the best way to get started? I'd start with two lavender axolotls, but I don't think anyone is selling them and I don't want to do too much inbreeding (if I can avoid it). Advice?

My leucistic is at that age where he should start developing dark spots on his face, but his are very light. Does anyone else have a very pale leucistic, or should I expect his freckles to get darker? In addition to breeding for the lavender trait, someday (when I'm a little more experienced) I'd like to breed pure white leucistics (not albinos- I like the blue eye trait).

The lavenders most likely came out of a melanoid line. I think they are very similar to what some call gray melanoid. Some leucistics have blotches and some are all white with black eyes. Most of what I have seen in the U.S. don't have many black markings.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back