Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello from federal way WA

Safire

Reaction score
So I just got a axolotl I love him!!! He fell ill with the white fluffily stuff :( So I have been treating sam with salt baths and the fridge. He gets 3 salt baths a day in 2 leaders of water and 4 teaspons of salt. Then in fresh water and back in the fridge. I got him on Friday and he hasn't eaten anything since I got him:( so to day I got Jim a guppy and he ate!!!! :) I started the salt baths today how long can he stay in the fridge and how long should he get the baths? Sams tank has sand and large rocks he has a plant and a plastic log to hide in from light is there anything else I need for him? Any help is very much apresheated

Last edited:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It's common for them not to eat when they first arrive, especially if you've already had to give salt baths! How traumatic for the little dude. Glad to hear he ate a little though.

They should stay in the fridge for the entire duration of salt baths, and then another day or two, just in case. You should give salt baths until the fungus is gone, and then one or two more for good measure.

Safire

Reaction score
Sam is doing well his gills are standing back up. He hasn't pooped tho and that worries me. He ate a guppy two days a go. Is it bad it they don't poop? Other than that he seems to be doing well he still has a lot of the white stuff tho. It is a good thing that his gills are up right?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!