Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Substrate issues

sirentookie

Reaction score
I have an Axolotl named Toothless who is about 7-8 months old. I've kept him in a bare bottom 20 gallon tank until recently when I moved him to a 55 gallon tank. I went to the pet store to buy sand as I was already aware that that is what is supposed to be used for Axolotls. However, I have never used sand for anything else before. The man there managed to sell me (I feel like I was duped maybe?) a 20 pound bag of Red Jurassic Sand. He told me that it is very safe. It is silky and smooth to the touch. But he did not tell me that I was supposed to rinse the sand first (rookie mistake, I know). So I put the sand into the tank full of water, and ended up having to do a full water change because the water was so cloudy. Now, the water is still a little cloudy. My question is, will the cloudiness ever go away? Also, I have had a hard time finding information on the sand. The only information I've really found is that it's made from red quartz crystal, is naturally red and is low dust. So is it safe to use with my Axolotl? Being made from Red Quartz Crystal? Finally, my last question is, I want to add more sand and would like to know if I should use play sand or pool sand? And which brand should I use?

lea

Reaction score
You need to wash the sand until your arm falls off and then you have to use your other arm for a bit longer.
The cloudiness might settle but it might not as wel(the filter might clear it)l. I would do another water change and then rinse the sand some more.
I use play sand in my tanks and i got it from City Farmers. It feels nice, soft to walk on and it is white.

Bevi1019

Reaction score
I bought some white aquarium sand for my tank, and luckily I did a ton of reading on this site before doing anything with my tank because i had to rinse it about 30-40 times in a 5 gallon bucket before it 'appeared' clear. still left my tank a little cloudy but it also came with a small packet with a chemical to clear it up, and i was amazed at how fast it did. I can't for the life of me remember what it was called, and I'm not sure if it would have worked without the rinsing but it may be worth looking into a similar product.

natjobe

Reaction score
I am not sure what chemicals could clear sand but I would be worried about it effecting the axies. Maybe someone else will have used this or know about it.

I bought some white aquarium sand for my tank, and luckily I did a ton of reading on this site before doing anything with my tank because i had to rinse it about 30-40 times in a 5 gallon bucket before it 'appeared' clear. still left my tank a little cloudy but it also came with a small packet with a chemical to clear it up, and i was amazed at how fast it did. I can't for the life of me remember what it was called, and I'm not sure if it would have worked without the rinsing but it may be worth looking into a similar product.

sirentookie

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the advice! Now the only questions I have left are: - is the sand ok to leave in there being that it's made of Red Quartz Crystal Sand? Is Red Quartz Crystal Sand safe for him? and I need to add more sand...which sand would you guys recommend? Pool sand maybe? Any substrate recommendations would be helpful.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1