Illness/Sickness: Does Hugo need help?

Weeb

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Hi,

I recently moved (quite a bit, around 300 km to be move exact) and my axolotles came with me ofc. They where in the car for the whole drive, I wrapped them in towels and had the temperature in the car on high. Still when I arravied at my new home the water was freezing (I would guess about 2-3 C). And one of my 2 axolotles (Hugo) wasn't moving, he was just laying on his back. I preperade the aquarium asap and got him in along with Oliver (the other axolotl, who was swiming around and didn't seem harmed). I check up on him all evening but he seemed dead :(

The next day I was quite pleasantly supprised that he was up and swiming. However he had some nasty infection or so i though on his tail and at one of his rear legs.

After looking around on the forum (since i couldn't post yet) I found similar pictures that where said to be attacks by a tankmate, so I'm assuming that's what it is.

Do I need to do anything to take extra care of little Hugo or will he be ok? :sick:

Also he is eating. Not as much as before but he gets most of his food down.

I'm going to post pictures of him, also though i should say that the "white stuff" hanging around his wound was torn of by one of with swims throught the vegetation.

2q3qgk9.jpg

http://**************/photo/my-images/705/img20120201175414.jpg/
nuwes.jpg

Many thanks

Last edited:
That certainly doesn't look good, Weeb.

Does it just look like a surface wound, or does it go deeper? How warm is your tank?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back