Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help- tank temperature

m0ra

Reaction score
My tank's temperature is at 12 degrees C, is this okay for Axolotl, or is it too cold?

GazerOfStars

Reaction score
As long as the temperature isn't wildly fluctuating I think they'll be fine at that temperature. Where are you keeping them that it's so cold?

GazerOfStars

Reaction score
Brrr lol. Axolotls like it cold. Anything over 22 c can start causing ill health. The only drawback at colder temperatures is they'll be less active, such is the nature of cold-blooded animals.

m0ra

Reaction score
If I were to put, say a 17W heater in the tank would it be okay? just to raise the temperature a little.

GazerOfStars

Reaction score
It's your call on the heater, like I said just make sure the temperature is relatively constant. Your best bet would be to keep it in the 16-18 c range.

m0ra

Reaction score
I'm relatively experienced with keeping animals, such as fish, as that's what my job involves so I'll be very careful of the parameters, and temperature etc, if it isn't constant then I'll remove the heater, better to have a lethargic 'Lotl than a stressed out one.
Thanks for your advice!

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
They will be just fine at 12c, all winter long. Don't bother with a heater.

kiathepooch

Reaction score
Mine have been at that temp and below in my living room and are doing great-wouldn't bother with a heater!

Sent,using the power of my mind.....

lea

Reaction score
Using a heater opens up a whole new list of issues that could happen. As we all know axies arent known for brains......and if your axie is anything like my old one(rip cookie) the pretty light of the heater might just attract your axie....."umm pretty light" and burn themself. You dont need one really the colder the better

m0ra

Reaction score
Alright guys.
It's the dead of winter now, so I know it will warm up eventually, as spring begins.
I got my two gorgeous Axie's today, both around 9" long, both male and both mature.
So, you guys would reccommend that I take the heater out? I have the heater in the tank just now, and the temperature is sitting at 16 degrees and has been for a few days now.
I know they prefer it cold, but I just don't want to upset their diet, 'cause I realise this can be the effect of a colder tank.
Also, on a strange note.. The guy I bought the Axie's off of had fed them a couple of times on live Mealworms and Crickets.. :s I thought this was bizzare and this had a high risk of parasites/infection.
Have any of you ever heard of this being done?
Also, it's a shame but the wild Axie I got had stubbly gills on one side, but he's oh-so lively and really is lovely.. This won't effect him will it? I mean I know they can re-generate limbs/brain cells/even a heart, so will he in time re-grow some of his gills?

abznabz

Reaction score
how did you get it that low?! i can't get my tank below 20 degrees C!! please tell me!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1