Axolotl looks to be dying

Zipetta

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Hey everyone, I have a sick axolotl. He is 9 years old. I have had him for over a year. He stopped eating over a week ago, and recently his front arms have moved very little when swimming although they seem to move normally while walking on the bottom. Today he's starting to lean to one side. I saw him lying completely on his side earlier but now he is upright and just leaning. I haven't noticed any kind of skin irritations, though despite not eating his belly is a relatively normal size. There is another axolotl in the tank who is totally fine. She is eating well and behaving normally. I can't afford to take him to the vet and I am terrified of him dying. Please help me!

If he continues to not eat, a vet may be the only option regardless of finances.

A vet is not an option for me. Thank you for taking the time out but I need information that is a little more helpful. I'm very desperate. Please.

Ok lets start at the beginning........What are the water parameters?? what is the water temp??? What is your axies diet??? Is he floating for the love of it or is he having trouble getting down to the bottom of the tank?

The water parameters are normal.

He wasn't floating, he was on the bottom on his side.

His diet is predominantly 'Axolotl Food' pellets made by Aqua master. I give them frozen bloodworm occasionally, and 'Axolotl Tucker' which is a frozen fish mix from the pet store. He hasn't been interested in any of the above.

I put him in the fridge and filled the container, it's about 3 inches deep. I came back to him and he was lying on his back, so I removed some of the water so it's only just above his back, and gently guided him to his stomach. He had a mild freakout as I was putting him back in the fridge, but suprisingly he stayed upright the whole time and for the last hour or so has remained upright. The freakout also showed that he was able to move, and had enough energy to do so. I even saw him take a breath from the surface. So I feel really pleased! This is a vast improvement.

Based on what I've read here I'm starting to think he has swallowed a stone or is constipated. I had thought that the stones I bought were large enough for him not to swallow but I'm second guessing that now. I've started removing the stones to be on the safe side and will get something bigger and more suitable asap. Here's hoping that being in the fridge will give him what he needs and he can pass something soon.

How big are the stones in your tank? Does he look like he's swallowed a stone? If you moved him to set him upright did you happen to feel a stone inside him? When one of my axies came home from the pet store she had several small stones inside her which I was able to feel by gently rubbing her underside, perhaps you could try this.

If the stone is too big, it may not be able to pass and you might have to consider other options... I'd say anything bigger than 1cm is probably too big.

That is great news. The fridge is the best place if you think he has eaten a rock(it might take as few days). The only problem is if the rock is too big it may not come out and that will only leave a vet visit which I know is out of the question for you at the moment.
Remember to do 100% daily water changes with water the same temp and keep us informed on how he/she is going.

I've noticed that when he's hungry his belly is usually skinnier. He hasn't eaten in a while and his belly looks like he's eaten. So it's quite possible. The stones probably are about 1cm. I am suprised if it's a stone - the woman who had them for 8 years before me had small gravel with them and never had a problem. When I got them I replaced the stones with larger ones and haven't had a problem at all till now. (I've had them for a year and a half) It's summer and warmer than usual, though not extraordinarily so. I had them last summer as well, and they were hungrier but that was the only difference.

I just took him out of the fridge to feel his belly. It definitely seems swollen but I couldn't feel any irregularities or bumps.

He was moving around relatively normally, where as before I put him in the fridge he seemed to only move when absolutely necessary. His front arms still aren't working like usual, but he is moving them more than before. His gills are still really red as well, so I'm hoping these are all good signs.

Thank you guys for your input. It means the world to me.

Today is my axies 3rd day in the fridge. He seems to be coping well. He's never on his back at all, and never completely on his side. I check on him hourly and he seems to alternate between being slightly on his side, and being properly upright. He hasn't passed anything major yet but I found some stringy wastey substance in there. Not much just a few small wisps. My partner noticed that his stomach bulge seems to have moved away from his front arms and down towards the back legs. So I think that's a good sign. Will continue to keep him in the fridge and monitor him.

Also! I've noticed that his front legs are moving more normally again. I'm guessing that's as a result of his belly-bulge moving further down. Also, his tail and legs have become a lot pinker. (He is a harlequin) where as he was quite pale before. I'm not sure what this means.

Also, when I transferred him doing the 100% water change, before I moved him his gills were a vibrant red, and then putting him in the new water they went immediately white. Is this because he was taken out of the water?

To be honest, from the sounds of it... if his stomach bulge has moved down, I'm going to guess that's a stone attempting to pass itself. If it's around 1cm like you say, there's a chance it's not going to happen and things could get worse from here. Could you get a photo of this bulge by any chance??
I am not trying to worry or stress you, I just want you be aware and perhaps prepare if this is in fact the case. Hopefully, the stomach bulge isn't stone related.

Also, you say you're checking on him hourly and I know you are just concerned but - this might be bad. The constant opening and closing of the fridge door is one thing (I assume you have his container wrapped in a tea towel?) but constantly unwrapping the tea towel and looking it, or taking him out of the fridge to look into his container is stressful in itself. If your axie is already stressed this is not doing him any real favours. Perhaps try and limit yourself to checking on him every few hours if you're really worried.

The gill thing is generally because when axolotls are moving around there is more blood circulation so their gills go red (much like our cheeks go red when we exercise - did your axie move around a bit when you pulled his container out to change the water?) If they're not really doing much they tend to go a much more pale, almost white colour. It sounds strange if his gills went immediately white but I probably wouldn't worry too much...

Re the water changes and axolotl colour-is the water you remove him from the same temp as the water you move him too?

Sent,using the power of my mind.....

The water change temperature is always the same. I keep the axolotl in a container of water in the fridge, and I keep a second container of fresh dechlorinated water in the fridge. When I need to do the water change I just pop him into the fresh container, and change the old container and put them both back in the fridge. I also have a separate large bottle full of clean dechlorinated water just in case.

I have reduced checking on him as he seems much more stable. We have also pulled out an old fridge from the back and set it up for him to have to himself so the fridge isn't opened when we need food etc. He seems quite happy. He is much more stable and normal looking. He moves around like normal and he is almost never leaning to the side now.

I've had a close look at the stones that were in his tank and it appears that some of the stones are larger than 1cm and some of them are smaller. So it's just a waiting game at this point to see what happens. At this point things are looking alright, but I'm prepared for them to go down hill and will adjust accordingly. I feel so stupid for having had those stones in the tank. "Surely they wouldn't eat a stone this size!" Bah!! You live and learn I guess. Hopefully the axolotl pulls through and survives (Fingers crossed), but if not then at least I know better to give the second axolotl a better life.

Thanks so much for all of your input guys! I appreciate it so much.

One of my axies had a problem similar to yours back in the fall. Except I know she wasn't impacted because there are no stones (asides from GIANT ones) in my tank and she never passed anything.

She was floating and couldn't get down, and eventually couldn't keep herself upright! Her fourth day in the fridge was the worst. I came in to check on her and she was upside down. I was almost positive she was going to die :( She wouldn't eat and she wouldn't poop.

But slowly, she started getting better. She was in the fridge for three weeks! She slowly became more stable, and was able to keep herself upright. But she was still floating. Finally, I opened the fridge one day and she was sitting on the bottom! I slowly added about an extra inch of water and could tell that she definitely was no longer floating. That night, I was able to put her back in the tank, and she's been fine since. She's actually a mama now :)

Don't give up. Keep her comfortable and do whatever you can to keep her upright and things should get better :)

Sentences I never thought I'd say: "Man, I hope my axolotl poops in the fridge today!" Haha, so bizarre. They're such strange creatures.

Thanks for your kind words hacelepues! I appreciate that. Makes me feel more hopeful.

Little axie is looking well. If I didn't know that there was something wrong I would never guess by the way he is now that something is wrong. Still no poop, and not interested in food (obviously) - but by all other counts seems normal.

OMG! I just checked on him and something is coming out of his butt! Woohoo!!

OMG! I just checked on him and something is coming out of his butt! Woohoo!!

hahaha that's good! If he's starting to look better, I'd recommend leaving him in for another day or two just to make sure that the problem is gone.

good luck :)

He's had the same piece of (probably) poop hanging out of his butt for over 24 hours. It's like half a centimetre out. Should I attempt to do something about this? Or just let him take his time?

Sentences I never thought I'd say: "Man, I hope my axolotl poops in the fridge today!" Haha, so bizarre. They're such strange creatures.

I actually snorted with laughter when I read this. Lol.

Good to hear that he is trying to pass something... I'd say that if he's got something coming out that looks like poop (and doesn't look like a prolapse as seen here: Photos of Sick Axolotls) then that is a good sign. :happy:
I'd let him be and see if he is able to pass it himself...any interference on your behalf might just stress him out more. Hopefully everything works out fine!

He passed lots of little green bits. Not enough to constitute a regular poop, but pretty good! He seems skinnier and also his reaction times are quicker. He's still not interested in food, but he seems healthier every day. When will I know he's ready to go back in the regular tank? I think I will give him atleast a week just to be sure. I suppose the way to know would be that he's pooping and eating.

It's definitely not prolapsed. And omg ew. Lmao! I don't think I will ever get over how weird axolotls are. They are amazingly weird. Ty for all the info Danchristopher! Glad I made you laugh. Haha!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back