Sand or nothing?

clownbarb1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am getting 2 baby axoltls monday but dont kno what substrate to use?

Those are certainly two great options. :p Either will be fine, but use the right sand:
  • silica/pool-filter sand
  • play sand, if your area has 'good sand' - no magnetite, iron, limestone, etc
  • obsidian sand
  • etc
... that is NOT coral-based, and not too much of it - less than an inch - and rinse the ever-living hell out of it before you put it in.

Nothing is much easier to manage - as it usually is. :D

Has the tank already cycled? What's already in it in terms of decorations, etc?

If your axolotls are still small, you may not want to use any substrate at all. It's just generally easier to keep tiny ones on bare-bottom.

I think that as long as they are not tiny, then they will be grateful of something to grip at the bottom of the tank!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back