Question: How much do you feed them?

Ferretinmyshoes

Reaction score
Country
United States
Newbie here! I've been reading on lotls for some time and I see what to feed them, but I don't see any guidelines as to how much to feed them. I plan on getting 2 youngsters next weekend and have a 40gallon waiting for them when they're bigger (nothing in it currently). I plan on starting an earthworm colony and using bloodworms and other assorted frozen worms when they're still small.

1. Do I just let them eat until they stop?
2. I guess I'll need to thaw the frozen worms before feeding?
3. Anyone have any thoughts on feeding silkworms, butterworms or gutloaded crickets? I have those in abundance for my chameleons...

Thanks all! :)

As much as they can eat in 15 minutes is the general guideline. But it depends on what you're feeding them (pellets don't seem to apply since it's very different than say, live worms).

I've learned that I really just have to watch my axolotl - see if she's maintaining / gaining / losing weight and adjust accordingly.

Axolotls, like many animals, will eat more than they need to if the food is presented. So watch they don't get overweight, you want the body to be about the width of their head.

I've never used frozen worms, so I'm not sure about that one. Not sure about the other ones, either, I have never fed them or looked into them.

I feed my juvenile (now about 6 months old) twice a day, he gets up to one square of frozen blood worms each time, though I have started to reduce the morning amount and will eventually feed him once a day when he is full size.

I that is until I have an established worm farm , which I am going to set up in the autumn months, I think it will take a few months for the worms to grow to size and the worm farm to establish, I have never set one up before. so will be a beginner with worms. As for the other types of food options you mentioned I don't know.

I have had a moth land in my axies tank and that was gulped down before i could take it out of the tank, I was surprised how quick it disappeared as i was in the room near the tank when it happened. the following article is useful
Caudata Culture Articles - Worms

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back