Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Getting a new fire bellied newt

H

Helena

I had 2 chinese fire bellied newts in a ten gallon tank and they were both the same size. one of them had their hand gone a week later and looked sick and would not swim around anymore. i think the other one might have bitten it by mistake or something, becuase these animals are supposed to live together ok peacefully regardless of the gender of the newt.:

it died a day later, and I am going to the petstore to exchange for a new one.

I am going to keep it in qarantine for a while, before putting him back in the tank.

Any other advise for my new newt and to prevent this from happening again?

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
About the only thing you can do is increase the amount of hides (i.e more plants) and just make sure they are well fed. With this species though, I find that most accidents like this occur during feeding time. You can try feeding them in seperate corners of the tank in the future to see if it helps.

AngieD

Reaction score
These are really nippy creatures at feeding time, ours like to chase fingers before the food even gets brought out, and pyro tends to lose a toe from time to time.

I agree with the point about hides, these newts try to hide whenever possible

H

Helena

I already have a chinese fire bellied newt named tamale, but i just dont understand though, because every newt iv'e tried to add to the tank with tamale have died, but he stays perfectly healthy. I must be doing something wrong. or is it just that tamale is very defensive about him being in the tank first and that its his territory?

Because I thought that they live together peacfully. someone told me on the phone that if you have two male newts together, they can act aggresively towards each other. I want to try and get one male and one female, but the truth is, I dont know how to tell the difference between the two!

Please help!
-Helena :)

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If they are chinese firebellies (Hypselotriton orientalis) then there´s no issue of aggression. At most they accidentally nibble on each other without causing any damage. If however they are paddletails (Pachytriton) or Paramesotriton which are frequently sold as firebellies, then aggression is a very relevant issue, not just between males but between any individuals of the same or other species. It may or may not be possible to keep more than one individual of those species together.

It might not be possible to conclusively sex pet-shop animals as their secondary sexual characteristics are usually reabsorved as a result of the terrible conditions and stress.

H

Helena

I am 99 percent sure that these are fire bellies.

When I get this new newt, I will keep it in a seperate tank for about two weeks, to make sure it has no infection or disease, and then I will add him to the tank.

I will also try to feed them individualy in different parts of the tank, to prevent them accidentally nipping at each other during feeding time. and i will increase the hides and places they have to hide.

I will keep a close eye on them and make sure they are living together ok.

Thank you for all of your help!:D

-Helena :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!