Axolotl baby bleeding in its stomach

Rissa1980

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hello. i was just wondering if anyone can help me. i have some baby axolotls that are only 3 months old and i got them a week ago and today i lost one cause it was bleeding in its stomach. now i have another one the same, i have attached a photo. i hope you can see it clearly. im going to upload another photo. it died and you can see where it was bleeding

Attachments

• baby axolotls bleeding.jpg
    baby axolotls bleeding.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 2,780
Last edited:
Hello. i was just wondering if anyone can help me. i have some baby axolotls that are only 3 months old and i got them a week ago and today i lost one cause it was bleeding in its stomach. now i have another one the same, i have attached a photo. i hope you can see it clearly. im going to upload another photo. it died and you can see where it was bleeding

i have attached another photo of the baby

Attachments

• dead baby.jpg
    dead baby.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,916
Hi,

Firstly I would ask what are you keeping them on? If they have swallowed something then it may be an impaction. Then I would ask, what are you feeding them on? It is possible that if they are eating frozen food which has not been completely defrosted this could have caused an impaction also.

There is also the possibility that they are just unlucky and carried one of the lethal genes. Some of these cause problems with the kidneys so I guess that may cause internal bleeding. The lethal genes are sometimes linked to the growth if the gills, so if they were under developed then this could be the problem. Its a sad fact that the amount of interbreeding between Axolotls in captivity has lead to a large number of these lethal genes. You can find more about them in the link at the bottom of the post. My two have had babies now and although I am pretty sure they were not related I checked it out just so I would know the tell tale signs if they showed up.

Mutant Genes

I hope that this helps. Sorry for your loss. I have now lost a few when they were very small and I know that it's not nice. I can only imagine that it is a lot worse when they have developed so much more.

there are being feed with blackworms and beef heart from the butcher that we allow to defrost before we feed them. we brought 7 from a guy and 2 have died. i just hope that no more die

I wouldn't feed them beef heart ,especially as they are so young , the blackworms are fine. Do you know what their tank temperature is and what the readings are for ammonia, nitrate and nitrite?

The blackworms are the problem. Look in the second picture and you'll notice that the axolotls are kept in the culture of blackworms. Remove the remaining axolotls to a seperate, clean container. You'll only need to feed the axies once a day, 4-5 times a week. Feed them what they can consume in 15-20 minutes. After they've had their fill, remove the uneaten bits.

Get them out into another container keep it very clean and cool, I had those worms and they killed off my small axolotl in days dont keep them together with the worms.

I dont know whats going on with the blood Im not suggesting a salt bath as im not expert but putting it out here so another member can come take a look who has more knowledge than me and say im wrong or right to get you the help you need.

Tea bath, bacterial treatment?

It seems to be internal bacteria to me but im not sure so someone prove me right or wrong and get these babies some help xxx I would say they definitely need some treatment very soon keeping them cool will be the best option.

Try some bloodworm and earthworm they seem to always be the best option for me clean and nutritious xx

I just see those worms as a major problem and I will never feed them to my axolotls ever again. I had a starving axolotl which i rescued from a shop tried to get him better would only eat those worms that you have cultured in the tank and they just seem to be dirty and carry lots of nasty things and my baby died. It may not be the same for your worms but Id never reccomend them x

Their legs look very chewed as well did you get them like this or have they been nibbled off??

Their legs look very chewed as well did you get them like this or have they been nibbled off??

I got them like that. The person that had them before only feed them every couple of days they are only 3 months old.

I just see those worms as a major problem and I will never feed them to my axolotls ever again. I had a starving axolotl which i rescued from a shop tried to get him better would only eat those worms that you have cultured in the tank and they just seem to be dirty and carry lots of nasty things and my baby died. It may not be the same for your worms but Id never reccomend them x

I have feed them to the babies I raised for I over 4 months and I never had any problems. With these babies that we got from someone else beciase of there condition I though I would put more in there so they didn't keep attacking one another. I never had that problem when I raised my babies and it was the first time I had done it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back