Possible constipation?

Dakkagor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Arrgh! Hello again guys :sick:

Desdemona, my leucetic, might have a problem. I moved both my axies into their new tank recently after my tribulations with getting a cycle started (which was successful, at last), with brand new sand and only large rocks as the substrate. The sand is a very fine one, carefully washed, the tank water is looking very clean, and I was very happy with their appetite after a week in the fridge.

Well, appetite has remained good, but Desdemona has developed a very dark 'shadow' on her stomach. She doesn't have an extended cloaca as far as I can see, and she stays firmly on the bottom of the tank. They don't seem especially stressed (No gills pushed forwards, for example). So I'm now worried that the new sand is being eaten along with their bloodworm cubes, and she may be developing constipation.

So I'm setting up for a fridging as I write this, which will be ready at 10am tomorrow.

The problem I have is I am unsure if she is constipated, or if she is just that colour naturally! The dark spot isn't on any of the pictures I took for my previous 'mad panic thread' so its definitely new. Also the bloodworm is a very vibrant dark red colour, and she seems so white as to be translucent. (Never mind her beautiful iridiphores)

Pictures attached. Sorry about the quality. :sick:

Attachments

• Photo0007.jpg
    Photo0007.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 202
  • Photo0008.jpg
    Photo0008.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 266
You're feeding a pale axolotl dark colored food; it will show up through the skin.

Unless she's floating or showing other signs of constipation, I wouldn't bother with fridging.

As a note, bloodworms are not a nutritionally complete food. They shouldn't make up 100% of your axolotl's diet.

Thanks for the reassurance! I must look like a complete hypochondriac. :wacko:

What would you suggest to supplement their diet? Would shrimp/prawns be appropriate?

Thanks again for the help.

Earthworms. They're one of the best foods you can offer. But the best diet is a varied one. There are lots of threads on what to feed axies.

Don't worry; lots of people freak out here. That's why we have the forum, to offer advice and reassurance! I'm sure I made the same posts when I was starting out.

Lol, I remember wanting N. kaiseri, and being told they weren't a 'beginnner' species oh so many years ago. Now everyone seems to have them!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back