Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

2 New Axies 1 Big Tank :)

Schambers87

Reaction score
Ok, so have had my two little axies Popeye & Olive Oil since day after new years day and with my love for them growing, i have obtained a new 4ft tank and 2 axies - wild colour 1x male 1x female.

Have got a piccy of one of the axies - the male i think and the tank after i set it up - pic dont really do it justice - i was really proud of it when i finally finished it :p

Have added pics if they work :p

I do have one question, the new female has laid a couple batches eggs already - i dont want lots of eggs so need to seperate them. Was thinking of putting my females in one tank with males in the other - not too concerned about the girls as they are about the same size. However, my new male is quite big (8in?) with Popeye being about 5in. Is it too soon to put them together - should i wait till popeye gets a bit bigger? I dont think he is sexually mature yet so could put him in with the girls till bigger?

Thoughts please and thankyou :) xx
sc.jpg

sc2.jpg

LeFarge

Reaction score
I'd be very cautious about putting a 5 incher and an 8 incher together, and not in case one gets an inferiority complex

iheartaxie

Reaction score
I agree with above, but great job on the tank, it looks ace :p I'm off to get my new 4ft tomorrow...sooo excited. Your new axie is adorable :)

Schambers87

Reaction score
Ok, I did have concerns so glad I asked :) so if I put the big male on his own...will he be ok? And the little ones go together?

I do have a divider for the big tank? Maybe big one on one side , does it help if he can see the others or best to cut ties?

If I had known the sex of my little ones on buying I would have stuck with males but hoping I can work something out so as not to hurt any of them

X

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1