Brown mold-like thing on plants and glass

BuHg3oP

Reaction score
Country
Latvia
Hey.
I was wondering about the brown stuff on some of my plants and bits on the tank walls. It does look like mold and it appeared when the water temp was around 18 (is usually 20-21). Now it is back to 20, but the stuff stays. I can clean it off the leafs and walls, but it comes back again after some time (not quicky, but still). And some bits on large stones as well.
Water parameters are fine, the filter is cycling well, very small gravel (sand) substrate and lots of plants, big granite stones.
What might be the cause of this?

PS: does not seem to harm axies, but looks unpleasant :)

I always assumed it was some type of algae when it affected any of my tanks. Whenever I get it, I scrape it off all the walls, decorations, then siphon it off the bottom to make sure I removed as much as possible. I then reduce the amount of lighting the tanks gets for about 2 weeks. It only seems to affect me when I leave the tank lights on longer than usual.

Well, yes, I do have a bit more light for the plants (does not seem to harm lotls). Hm, cleaning regularly seems to be the solution :) Ty :p

Well, yes, I do have a bit more light for the plants (does not seem to harm lotls). Hm, cleaning regularly seems to be the solution :) Ty :p

It is actually not a true algae, but a type of diatom. Typically you see this "brown algae" appear between 2-12 weeks of setting up the tank. It is a result of things in the tank not yet being stable. Once the tank stabilizes it should dissapear. If the tank is already established (set up for more than 12 weeks) then you should take a look at the nitrate levels and up the water changes.

Just to clarify, when I mention that the tank hasn't stabilized, I am not refering to just the nitrogen cycle (though that can contribute). The major source of diatom algae is from an excess of silicate in comparison with phosphate. Silicate is leeched from the tank glass and sand substrates and phosphates take a while to build up levels in the tank.

Diatoms also require less light than plants and other algaes so reducing the lighting doesn't always have the desired effect.

The best "cure" for diatoms is elbow grease, water changes, and patience.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back