Axxies free to good home!

Chicabelle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Anyone in the Telford, Shropshire area want a couple of axxies. One wild type age 6 months and one gold albino aged 5 months. Way to stressful for me :(

What sex is the gpld albino?

I want to say it's a female but it's a bit hard to tell only being 5 months.

What are you finding stressful ?

I just ask because my axolotl is very low-maintenance and not stressful ! If you wanted to keep them, I'm sure people here could help you with that !

I just hate the fact that I don't understand them. I have cats as well and I know exactly when they are hungry, when they are feeling ill, when they are in pain, when they are stressed etc. and I can't tell with the axxies. Then there's all the water changes, the water testing, the tank cleaning...didn't know there was so much involved when I had them. Really should have done a bit more research I'll admit.

I work two jobs and I want to give them the attention they deserve but I can't :(

Once upon a time you would have been learning to look after your cats, that may have been when you were younger and slowly learnt from parents, or when you decided to first get them. It's all a learning curve and it's usually quite easy and smooth running, a lot of things are just practice and habit. If you have never had wet pets before, water chemistry and changes etc can seem very daunting as its out of your comfort zone. But then that's what we are all on here for, experienced and novice alike. You will find there are people here that advocate non filtered water (in the sense of no filter pump) they will use either water changes or plants, then there are people who use filters. For each it was a learning curve for what's best for them their situation, and there animals. You will get it, you can fit it in.
But at the same time if now is not the right time for you to have wet pets, or it's not in your comfort zone right now. Then you are right to try and rehome as best you can.
Just sit down with yourself and have a good think, sleep on it. You don't want to give them away and then regret it.
We are all here for help and reassurance. And if you look back at old posts you will see how many people have the same worries and fears.

What ever way you decide I wish you and your lotl buddies all the best.

How big is your tank ? Once my 10 gallon was established, it only needed one water change a week - and that only took 10 minutes !

10 would be a bit too small for two, and would require more work and be more stressful.

They sell hoses that you can hook up to a faucet to do very easy water changes. If I had a tank bigger than 20 gallons, I'd definitely want one instead of hauling buckets.

If you get a turkey baster, it's *super* easy to clean up their poop. And if you don't have live plants, that's really all you have to clean ! I feed mine earthworms, blackworms, and pellets - and all leave virtually no mess in the tank. If you get the appropriate carnivore pellets, you can feed them that exclusively.

I feel like my axolotl is easier than my guppies, because their food is so messy and it gets all over and they don't leave easy-to-remove poops. :p

Before I had live plants, I really only needed to feed her daily and water change once a week. The live plants are just a bit messier, so I have to tidy them up a bit when I feed her.

It's okay if it's too much for you right now. I remember it took me a while to stop feeling nervous that I was doing everything wrong. And I just got a bearded dragon, so I'm going through that all over again. :p This forum is great, though - without it I don't know what I would have done.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back