My little buddys wont eat ??? :/

BIGBODYBEAR

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just got three 3 inch axys yesterday & i around here the only thing sold is frozen bloodworms & brineshrimps

i dropped the blood worms in & they just look at them maybe grab one worm

, i ask the seller what they ate & he currently told me they were eating live blackworms which are no where sold around here ,

any way to get them started on frozen blood worms or brine shrimp , thank you

take like tweezers and wiggle the blood worms in front of them they will attack them then, also try droping them directly on top of their faces

Last edited:
I tried with the tweezers n they get scared & swim away , i was waving the worms in front of them & nothing , if i let bloodworms fall to the bottom will they eat? Also maybe they ate when i dropped worms n left them there for an hour because i see their stomachs are darker , i cleaned out the worms , are they the type of animals that eat when they are hungry & dont eat when they are full?

You sure no one sells blackworms near you ? Have you called any local pet stores ? Try the little, privately-run ones. :)

Can you get earthworms ? For the little ones, you can cut them up very small. I think I've heard about people shredding them as well, but I'm not sure.

Can you get sinking pellets for carnivores ? You have to drop them right by their heads, and sometimes my aim isn't very good so I have to try again. :p

Axolotls have a tendency to over-eat, like a lot of animals - but I'd imagine they'd stop eventually. Back when mine was little and I was getting used to feeding her, I'd drop some pellets in and she would eventually track them down and eat them on her own. I've never had an axolotl 3", so I'm not sure what they're eating then - and how developed their sense of smell is for hunting.

I have just transferred all my babies (s'pose I should now call them juvies as they have all there legs) onto frozen bloodworm I defrost them first then drop a little dollop in the middle of their tank after a little bit they will pounce on the worms and start eating I come back a little while later to clear up the poop. The first time or so I had to leave it there for a good hour or so, and then I cleared them all away and checked the water, did some water changes as needed and fed again the next day, now they don't last long at all. They should get it, and yes sometimes the way I tell if one of them has eatern is there bellies, so persevere and they should get it.
Oh and mine are 1-2 inches.

You can also order blackworms directly from California Blackworms. That's all I feed my larvae.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back