Hello Caudata! Soon to be first time owner of Axolotls!

loadedsith

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Graham
Hello Caudata!

My name is Graham, I live in the south west suburbs of Chicago. I am here for information about making my soon to be Axolotl happy for a long time. I am a student at Columbia College Chicago. My major is Interactive Arts and Media, so I make websites and other sweet things. I made a few websites recently, all of which could use your clicking about and are ad free: greatplainsrecordingco.com / projects.bygph.com / masstimelapse.com (coming soon!)

So, a long time a go I saw Planet Earth, which had HD video of an Axolotl, and I remember thinking "Wow, thats freaking neat."

Fast forward to a month or so ago when I began a class called "The Evolution of Sex" which I am like on the edge of my seat for. Naturally interested in biology I guess, but this isn't new either.

So, a few weeks ago I started looking for a pet, not a fun, cuddly, pet mind you (I've got a dog, she's awesome), but an interesting pet. One who's mysteries I could contemplate between hours of banging my head against the wall (aka: programming, anyone else here afflicted with the sickness?)

I started with snails. My teacher told me that certain land snails could store and use sperm from different mates for up to 8 years. Pretty wild. But not much of a pet.

I had a goal though: I wanted a pet that demonstrated the radical nature of evolution. I remembered, Axolotls.

I've got no Axolotl yet, but I've got a 10 gallon tank, and I'm experimenting with where the best temperatures are in the house. In winter time Chicago cold is easy to come by, but Im also very concerned with heat in the summer. I've got heating plans, and Keeping axolotl healthy and cool - Hack a Day seems like something right up my alley.

Also, are there any specific concerns with glowing Axolotl, or is it cool if you're in to it?

Last edited by a moderator:
There are plenty of reputable sources for axolotls in your area. Try the Scott Smith All Animal Expo.

Welcome to the forum.

wow just did my intro before i read yours... and now i feel like mine is very insufficient :mad: hehe

wow just did my intro before i read yours... and now i feel like mine is very insufficient :mad: hehe

Haha.

Just after submitting my post I read a few others (including yours) and realized I way over did it! Guess I had a lot to say.

There are plenty of reputable sources for axolotls in your area. Try the Scott Smith All Animal Expo.

Welcome to the forum.

There are, and I did, thanks for the advice! I did actually get my Axolotls at the Scott Smith All Animal Expo, so double thanks for that!

I liked your intro, it's nice to know what others are into. I bought my first axolotls a month ago and I am sure you will enjoy them. The one thing I learned is how fast they grow. Mine come to the glass when they see me coming they love to eat. Welcome to the site.
Doreen

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back