Cracked 150G

Yaimfat

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Jake
Hi,

I have several large tanks which are all kept superbly on top of my Axolotl tank and was hoping to get some help with my Rainbow Tank. I have also posted this on aquariumforum.com but was not allowed to add pics to my post for some reason. Anyways, here we go!

Today when cleaning my 150G I turned around with the lid and stepped forward, not paying attention the corner of the lid knicked the very top edge of the tank and somehow caused a crack to run from ten centimetres or so from the top right corner to around ten centimetres down the right hand side of the pane, essentially making a triangle in the corner of the tank.

I promptly lowered the tanks water level to below the crack and began researching. Most people recommend to replace the tank if it gets cracked as the tensile strength of the glass is irreversibly damaged, citing things like temperature gradients, superelasticity etc... but the crack seems quite stable, essentially having relieved all of its force in the one split second however I am still concerned! The prospect of a living room full of water is not very pleasant! Please help!

There is little information on cracks like this, 99% of posts being in regard to a crack running a panes length or on the base pane which are much more stressed areas, with water pressure etc... I know tanks are cheap etc... but I would really like to know whether this is a candidate for a safe silicone patch up? Or is this never safe? Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated! There also would be images attached but apparently I'm not allowed, I may post them on Flickr or something if need be.

Cheers, Yaimfat

Pictures:

Attachments

• IMG_0667.jpg
    IMG_0667.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_0666.jpg
    IMG_0666.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0668.jpg
    IMG_0668.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 161
I have no knowledge about how to fix it or whether it is safe to keep the water in the tank, other than to compare the glass to a windscreen on a car, it it gets knocked in the future by the slightest amount you could have water every where.

If it was me I would be looking at getting a new tank, because I would not want to risk the possible breaking of the glass during a weather change or anything like that.

I have heard of repairs. Ie siliconed and an extra bit of glass over the top and the tank being turned so you can't see it. And them lasting years. I'm not sure if I would trust it, if it was going to be filled all the way up again.

And I think some of the worry is that as ambient temps change another crack can form anywhere along the line or another point that now has a different stress on it. (think of a stone chip on a car windscreen )

Although I think the other option is to cut the silicone of that whole panel out and replace the panel with a new bit of glass, I know our local glass shop/glazier does things like that. He will also make custom tanks for you as well.

Don't know what the price would be v new tank only though.

Thanks for the quick replies! That kind of fix is the kind I was thinking however as you both said, I feel as though I could never really trust it, despite that it is the top of the tank and barely runs down the side of the tank. It is such a shame but I suppose it's better safe than sorry! Besides, it can always make another reptile enclosure so it's not all waste...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back