Axies together

crazylady

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
liz :-)
Hi all i woke this morning to find my biggest axie freckels had got passed the divider an was in the other side with my little axie speckles :eek: i checked them both an no wounds or missing limbs there is a big size difference between them but they seem OK together should leave them or put the back to there own bit of tank i am the pics shows the size difference freckels is about 28 cm not to sure about speckles but he will be about 15 cm

sorry i for got to pics on

Attachments

• 1328617520580.jpg
    1328617520580.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 142
  • 1327752511541.jpg
    1327752511541.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 115
  • 1328617434148.jpg
    1328617434148.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 118
hi no they will be fine togeter ive got axolotls all diffrent sizes together the same as yours if anythin your little one will probaly nip your bigger axolotl :) kust keep an eye on them they will nip eachother when there looking for food ect but every axolotl ndoes this :smile:

Thank you I'm glad they will be ok i will be in all this week so i shall be watching them all the time. My freckels loves food so I'm abit on edge with her she is following speckles about all the time not sure if its a you look taste or what the are you doing in my tank :p .

How do i go about feeding now they are together speckles doesn't eat earth worms well he does but then brings them back up freckels will eat anything should i separate them when feeding

I feed my greediest first as that gives my slower one a little time to feed but briefly dividing them would probably be the safest option :)

X

i'd be very cautious... i had 2 with a similar size difference (albeit younger) - the bigger one seemed cool then suddenly MUNCH tried to eat the smaller one... they might be fine, but imagine watching your dog try to eat your cat = no fun!

I'd seperate them again as well. It really isn't worth the risk until your golden one gets bigger. The size difference between the two is quite noticable and it would only take your large one to have a lunge at the smaller one and real damage could be done.

Regards Neil

I would separate them, too. Axolotls have really poor eyesight and aren't the smartest creatures (sorry little guys !) - the little one could get hurt even if the big one isn't being aggressive on purpose - just mistakes it for food.

The size difference looks big enough that the bigger one could fit the little one's head in his mouth ! It could be dangerous for both of them.

thanks all i did in the end separated them as i noticed the big one freckels kept snaping when the little one speckels swam near i have also made the diveder more safer to stop freckels getting passed it i enoyed a hour of seeing them together an got some cute pics for now got to wait till they get big now

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back