Ambystoma opacum substrate and temp

x Lindsay x

Reaction score
Country
England
I've looked around as much as I can but all I am finding is vague or contradictory information so I thought I would just post a thread. I am getting 3 marbled salamanders and I have their tank set up ready for them. I have used coconut husk fibre as a substrate and sphagnum moss on top in certain areas. Then I have read that you should mix top soil with coco fibre substrate and that sphagnum moss is not safe - if this is the case what kind/brand of top soil should I use and should I forget/change the moss?
Is exo terra plantation soil any good on its own?
Also the temperature of the housing has been between 60-64 degrees F all day and I have read that 65-75 is preferred or is around 60 okay?

Thanks
Sorry if this has already been answered somewhere and I havent came across it. I have used the caudata ambystoma opacum species entry and other pages.

I've looked around as much as I can but all I am finding is vague or contradictory information so I thought I would just post a thread. I am getting 3 marbled salamanders and I have their tank set up ready for them. I have used coconut husk fibre as a substrate and sphagnum moss on top in certain areas. Then I have read that you should mix top soil with coco fibre substrate and that sphagnum moss is not safe - if this is the case what kind/brand of top soil should I use and should I forget/change the moss?
Is exo terra plantation soil any good on its own?
Also the temperature of the housing has been between 60-64 degrees F all day and I have read that 65-75 is preferred or is around 60 okay?

Thanks
Sorry if this has already been answered somewhere and I havent came across it. I have used the caudata ambystoma opacum species entry and other pages.

The temperature is fine and the substrate should be fine, the problem with sphagnum is the acidity, but if it is alive it should be fine.
If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
Sam:happy:

Did you find this? Another article about substrates can be found here.
I would recommend searching the forum for threads about the species as well, there is a lot of information to be found. Good luck with your salamanders!

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back