Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Another "boy or girl" thread

Chirple

Reaction score
cloaca.png

Older picture for comparison :

gettingbigger.png

I still think "she" is a female, but her cloaca looks bigger recently - but perhaps because she's growing and it's all getting bigger. That, and she gets worms now, so there's more matter to poop out.

Silly axolotls, so impossible to sex. :p

PAWS

Reaction score
Its actually really easy to sex them. Place a TV in front of the tank and tune to a sports channel. If your Axi grabs a beer and a seat to watch its male - Simples!

yellowpebble

Reaction score
i'm not sure, my boys parts seem to fluctuate in roundness.His junk has looked smaller than this at times and he's definatley mature. I think its to do with the availability of the females. I find boys are easier to spot from the top, look at the axie through the top of the water. Usually if you can see the bulge puffing out from the sides he's definatley a male! Also watch for the roundless in the females. They look lot more blimp like when mature. How old is he/she?

Chirple

Reaction score
Thanks everyone ! I've been staring at her so long I'm second-guessing myself. :p

I'm not sure exactly how old she is, but she had black tips on her toes since I first had her. I've had her a bit over three months and she's about 7.5-8" right now.

I'm sticking with she for now, I don't see any protrusions from above. But I know males don't always show, as I've read on here. D: She's very round, but I don't know if that's just because I feed her well.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1