Recieved eggs in the mail but water HALF FROZEN : (

Jae

Reaction score
Country
United States
HELP! I recieved a new batch of eggs in the mail and because of the cold weather the water ended up partially freezing. I'm thawing them out slowly first through the refrigerator then I'll let them acclimate to room temp, but is this all pointless?? I mean is there hope for them to survive after they've been frozen?

It depends on whether the ice crystals were inside the eggs or not. You'll probably have to wait to see.

i recieved my eggs and they were half frozen too :(:( The water is now really really cold but no ice or anything. Should I keep adding luke warm water little by little :confused: Should the water be 68 F? What else should I do to help the eggs stay healthy?? There are 2 little guys that are no longer in the egg sack....got squished? they move a little from time to time. Are they gonna die or will they be okay? Any answers and help very appreciated :eek:

i recieved my eggs and they were half frozen too :(:( The water is now really really cold but no ice or anything. Should I keep adding luke warm water little by little :confused: Should the water be 68 F? What else should I do to help the eggs stay healthy?? There are 2 little guys that are no longer in the egg sack....got squished? they move a little from time to time. Are they gonna die or will they be okay? Any answers and help very appreciated :eek:

I wouldn't add water of a different temp. Just put them in a room that isn't any warmer than 70º F and within a few hours they should warm up. Also, how developed are the two outside of their eggs? Do they have their gills yet? And if so, are they straightened out, or are they still C-shaped? If they are C-shaped still, chances are they won't make it. But I'm not 100% sure to keep an eye on them!

Thank-you!! The water is now about 60 f. The 2 that are out of the eggs have tiny gills that are a little bigger than just nubs....the ones still in the eggs have bigger gills. Both of them that are out of the egg are still moving, should I.seperate them and try to feed them brine shrimp? The rest in the eggs seem to be ok, they wiggle once in a while. Ugg, this is so nerve wracking but super exciting at the same time!! My 2 young children watch them all the time with me.

I've found that premature hatchers don't usually thrive. You can try feeding brine shrimp, and this would be best done in a different container than the one with the eggs.

BTW Kacie I love ur meet pic. I have the best childhood memories of finding them at my cottage in the summers:)

Thanks. That little guy was the 2011 Caudata.org calendar cover-newt.

Notos are one of my favorite species, especially the efts. They're so bold and bright. It's hard not to like them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back