Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Sick sally and newt! URGENT! PLEASE!

icecoolsupersta

Reaction score
I have had salamanders for about 3 yrs now; the oldest was 3 yrs with me, another 2yrs with me, and the last two I have had for little more than a year. BUT in just a little more than a week, out of 4 marbled salamanders that I had, 3 have died. 2 died just yesterday. I noticed about 2 weeks ago that the oldest one was walking around the tank more than usual and didn't want to eat but he's sometimes picky so I didn't bother, next feeding day, he was dead. Cause of death unknown. I try feeding the others but the remaining 3 didn't want to eat so then I was a little skeptical but again no signs of bad health so I figured they would eat next time. Next feeding, still no eating and then I realized 2/3 were acting strange, not walking right, sticky instead of slimy and one was even losing its skin on its underside. I quarantined them immediately and overnight one died and during the day the other. I have one sally still left but I'm afraid he may be infected with whatever killed the rest. I have read some about saline baths and refrigeration but i don't know how long to refrigerate or if thats my best option. PLEASE HELP!
I have also had a newt that I got back in Nov.2011, chinese fire belly, I have never seen him eat anything. He's really skinny now and all my other fire bellies eat but he won't and I've tried just about every food variety i could even though the other eat. I'm near giving up but I don't want to. ADVICE!

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Could you post a picture of the remaining sick newts? Also could you describe their housing and what you actually feed them. Has anything changed , such as food source or environment?

x Lindsay x

Reaction score
So sorry to hear that. I have just got 3 marbled sallies and I worry to death over them and I can imagine how frustrated and worried you must be feeling.

I have heard the refrigeration method can work for sick amphibs.

Caudata Culture Articles - Illness Part 1 this page from caudata has a table of treatments and included is the refrigeration method

Keep us posted let us know how your getting on. Have a good look around the forum and some other forums to find out how long you are meant to put them in the fridge for if you don't get a reply here.

Might be a good idea to test the water and substrate in you're housing them with for pH levels and ammonia etc. if you hsvent already. And also if you havent already you could replace everything in the housing. New substrate and disinfect with amphibian friendly disinfectant to kill and harmful bacteria/pathogens which may be causing it.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
This happened to my Jefferson's salamanders. I had 3. One got sick: emaciated, tacky skin. Then a second, with the same symptoms, plus sloughing, bleeding skin. Both died within about a week of showing symptoms. The third has never shown signs of illness. I suspect it may have been ranavirus.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1