Cause for Concern or a Nervous Newbie?

Bukinara

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings.
While I have solid experience keeping exotic pets (mostly herps), I'm new to axolotls and unsure if I'm just being a nervous newbie or if I have legitimate concerns.

For the last several days, Gilligan Notafish (a leucistic w/GFP), has been having a little trouble with floating. He can get down if he tries, but it takes some effort. Once down, he spends his time either keeping himself propped down with tank fixtures or doing a handstand.

I've checked water quality and temperature and it is all within safe parameters. I've had him for about a month and a half, and he is probably over 4 inches now, but under 5. He's grown substantially since I received him. The pet store he came from had them housed on river rock far too large to swallow and I have him on sand, so impaction seems unlikely. Plus, I just watched him pass a sizeable stool the day before yesterday. After that he started building up gas again, I think.

Additionally, when he is gassy and floaty, it seems to me like he holds his rear legs very strangely. Sort of splayed or bowlegged.

His tail isn't curled and his gills are not curved forward.

He doesn't refuse food, it is just hard for him to get to it for the last couple days. I am feeding him primarily bloodworms (from frozen) and occasionally brine shrimp (also frozen).

I have a live hornwort in the tank with him and a moss ball. I've heard that some axies will eat plants and am wondering if he's chowing down on hornwort needles and making himself gassy. While I haven't seen him do this, I have watched him randomly pig out on sand (which was disconcerting for a while).

Anyway, that's the situation at this time. I was considering fridging him if the problem does not clear up withing the next couple days.

Let me know what you think. Thanks for the help!

at that size he'd be much better on live earthworms than bloodworms or frozen shrimp...

@LeFarge:
Thanks for the response. And rest assured, once my initial supply of these items runs out (on the last of them now), I was planning on making that exact switch. Earthworms are readily available at almost any convenience/grocery/whatever store in my area.

However, I'm not really sure if that has any direct connection to the current situation or concerns. If there's some connection I'm not seeing, please let me know. :confused:

it sounds like he's constipated, which could be from a not great diet, so an earthworm switch would be wise -- but you say he's pooing so maybe its just gas. mine have never eaten their sand on the other hand...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back