To many different ideas

upinde

Reaction score
Country
England
Im getting confused by all of the different things that I have read on internet, in books or on here.

I got paid today and am going to start buying stuff for my tank then cycle it.

However are plastic plants ok (or will they cut the axxies body) ?

If plastic plants are not great then what real plants can I get that wont need a light?

Is fine aquarium sand ok or is play sand better?

What type of filter would be best?

I am worried about my tank now its 48 inches (4ft long) but 19inches tall Is this to deep?

Thanks

I have plastic plants in my tank and haven't had any injuries so far (touch wood) there is, however, a possibility that if your axies are darting around the tank they could cut themselves though. If you're worried you could buy some silk plants instead. They're fake but they're a lot softer than most plastic plants; rubber anemones are quite safe as well.

As for the substrate, I think that both fine aquarium sand and play sand are both fine however with which ever one you choose you must be sure to wash it thoroughly to remove any debris (i.e. small rocks and things that the axie could possibly eat).

Personally, I can't suggest any particular filters but one which you can adjust the settings on would be best. Axies get stressed by strong currents so a weaker current is best for them. Also, even though your tank is quite tall, you don't necessarily have to fill it all of the way.

Hope this helps :happy:

As long as you can reach the bottom for clean up or a shyphon can it's not too deep. I have a large 4ft (18in wide 20in deep). Filled almost to the top and I use a fluval external. In my other 4ft I use an acnchient eheim external. I use a spray bar on that one, but on the fluval I just have it turned down.

Silk plants are better than plastic, in my opinion. They look more natural, and they're not as sharp.

Either sand is fine, but play-sand is cheaper.

I like canister filters myself. I've also used waterfall filters and sponge filters successfully. I have one axolotl in a large tank, so he only has a sponge filter.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back