Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Will my cats scare my axxies?

Chicabelle

Reaction score
I am getting a 4ft tank this week but the only place it will fit is in my bay window. Unfortunately the window sill is the domain of the cats and there's a good chance they will end up climbing onto the top of the tank (it has a sturdy lid). Will the noise or the vibrations cause my axxies to become stressed?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Probably not. Cats are not a natural predator of axolotls and I doubt they would even notice. My cat used to get supervised visits in the herp room when I was working on tanks. She's not much of a fisher, but she REALLY likes the taste of axie water. My adults used to swim up to her when she dipped her paw in to get it wet (which is the only way she'll drink; she's uptight like that).

lollypop

Reaction score
When our cat was alive it used to regularly sleep on the tank, it was the only reason we had lids at the time :D

Chirple

Reaction score
I think it depends on the cats.

My cats are completely uninterested in my fishtanks and have never tried to jump on them. They love to play Watch the Bearded Dragon, though. :p

One thing I would be careful about is cat hair - when small animals ingest it, it can cut their insides, so you want to keep that to a minimum.

binkiesbuns

Reaction score
I wouldnt worry bout the furries if you have secure lids, none of my 5 cause any bother with my swimmers! What I would think abut though is keeping the tank by a window as you plan, cats love basking in the sun (hence windowsills) and in the summer or direct sunlight it could get awfully hot for the axies. If this is the case you might be better getting a unit to place the tank on and squeezing it in elsewhere x

Chicabelle

Reaction score
The tank comes on a stand and the whole lot will be in the bay window area, not actually on the window sill. Plus we have very thick wooden venitian blinds all around that are never opened because my other half doesn't like the thought of people looking in the house as they walk past! Hence we have to have the living room lights on even in daytime lol.

Jenste

Reaction score
My cat "Piglet" loves watching our axolotl tank....she tried jumping in once and has never attempted it again!

IMG_20120217_065438.jpg

binkiesbuns

Reaction score
The tank comes on a stand and the whole lot will be in the bay window area, not actually on the window sill. Plus we have very thick wooden venitian blinds all around that are never opened because my other half doesn't like the thought of people looking in the house as they walk past! Hence we have to have the living room lights on even in daytime lol.

Sounds good then! :D And honestly don't be panicking about the cats too much, I think it takes movement INSIDE the tank or sudden changes in light for adult axies to even take notice. As long as you dont have a Cartman cat who shakes the tank and causes a tidal wave when he jumps on I think they'll be blissfully unaware ;)

mortava

Reaction score
My axies seem to think my cats are fascinating and vice versa! They always come to the front of their tanks to check the cats out and "chase" their tails when they walk by!

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
As long as the tank is secure the axolotl will be fine. My cats used to sit on their mesh lid, the axolotl seemed more interested in eating the cats rather than the other way round.

Star

Reaction score
My Scylla nipped the cat's tail when it landed in the tank once, he didn't put his tail in again XD

Gromky

Reaction score
My axie isn't freaked out by anything outside the tank, so I wouldn't worry about it that way. He identifies me with food and will come forward, but otherwise anything outside the tank doesn't matter. I'm sure they sense vibrations, but I don't think they hear noise in the way we do (and that loud movie you watch is probably worse than the cat anyway).

I would second watching the temp in the window. But I don't see cats being a problem unless they actually can catch the axie.

loadedsith

Reaction score
I have 2 cats who like my room, where my axies are, I have installed a lid and clamps, but i doubt the cats have even noticed them yet! (I've only had them for a week)

Hence we have to have the living room lights on even in daytime lol.

Sounds like living with my mom! Even when the sun is out and the blinds are open she walks around turning the lights on.

Niels D

Reaction score
Our three cats freaked out when one of our axies made a splashing sound while he swam to the surface. They were impressed by this demonstration of raw axolotl strength.

Gromky

Reaction score
Our three cats freaked out when one of our axies made a splashing sound while he swam to the surface. They were impressed by this demonstration of raw axolotl strength.

That's hilarious. Maybe an ancestor had an experience with a Japanese giant salamander (that would certainly terrify me as a domestic cat).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1