Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

HELP! Feeding problems...

hacelepues

Reaction score
My larvae have just begun to hatch. The first one hatched on monday, so they are ranging between 3-1 day old.

My order of Daphnia arrived yesterday morning, and it turns out they are daphnia magna (I was a dummy and didn't ask what kind they were). While the adults are way too big, the babies seem small enough. I put a bunch of the smallest daphnia in the tub with the larvae and none have been eaten. I also tried feeding them egg yolk (I had heard from people on the forums that this works), but none seemed interested. I shook it up so that the particles were really tiny and would squirt it in front of them so that it would be moving, and none ate.

I'm very worried that I'm going to be unable to feed them and that they will die! Does anyone know of where I can order some D. Moina? I was looking at BBS but they wouldn't get to me until monday. I'm very worried!

findi

Herpetologist & Author
Reaction score
My larvae have just begun to hatch. The first one hatched on monday, so they are ranging between 3-1 day old.

My order of Daphnia arrived yesterday morning, and it turns out they are daphnia magna (I was a dummy and didn't ask what kind they were). While the adults are way too big, the babies seem small enough. I put a bunch of the smallest daphnia in the tub with the larvae and none have been eaten. I also tried feeding them egg yolk (I had heard from people on the forums that this works), but none seemed interested. I shook it up so that the particles were really tiny and would squirt it in front of them so that it would be moving, and none ate.

I'm very worried that I'm going to be unable to feed them and that they will die! Does anyone know of where I can order some D. Moina? I was looking at BBS but they wouldn't get to me until monday. I'm very worried!

Hi,

I've found chopped live blackworms to be the best food for newly-hatched larvae; daphnia, brine shrimp will be taken, but growth much better with blackworms...please see this article re cautions (worms tend to clump & larvae sometimes choke).

The will also begin to cannibalize each other...see article for some ideas. They do not eat for a day or 2 after hatching, which may be what you're seeing. I've never used egg yolk. Crushed trout chow and reptomin works well, but I've found they rarely take these until they have put on some size, Please let me know if you need more info, and pl keep me posted.

hacelepues

Reaction score
Hi,

I've found chopped live blackworms to be the best food for newly-hatched larvae; daphnia, brine shrimp will be taken, but growth much better with blackworms...please see this article re cautions (worms tend to clump & larvae sometimes choke).

The will also begin to cannibalize each other...see article for some ideas. They do not eat for a day or 2 after hatching, which may be what you're seeing. I've never used egg yolk. Crushed trout chow and reptomin works well, but I've found they rarely take these until they have put on some size, Please let me know if you need more info, and pl keep me posted.

Interesting. Do you know where I could buy blackworms online? I've done some looking but they seems to be out of stock in most places.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
California Blackworms is the most popular vender.

Newborn D. magna will be fine in the meantime. Get a culture going!

findi

Herpetologist & Author
Reaction score
Interesting. Do you know where I could buy blackworms online? I've done some looking but they seems to be out of stock in most places.

I don't know of any offhand, sorry; if you have a good tropical fish store nearby try there, as they are usually sold as fish food. Another option would be earhtworms...those sold as red wigglers are the smallest. You'll need to pick out tiny individuals and cut with a razor blade. As the larvae grow, earthworms can form most of their diet. You can breed them as well, so you'll always have tiny ones...please see here for more info and let me know if you need anything. Article mentions 70F as cut-off for earthworm colonies, but some strains/species can take warmer temps; worth experimenting. Best, Frank

hacelepues

Reaction score
California Blackworms is the most popular vender.

Newborn D. magna will be fine in the meantime. Get a culture going!

I've placed an order with them, they'll get here tomorrow! How tiny should I cut them?

And I'm trying to get the culture going. I have about 40.

findi

Herpetologist & Author
Reaction score
I've placed an order with them, they'll get here tomorrow! How tiny should I cut them?

And I'm trying to get the culture going. I have about 40.

Hi, Use a razor blade and chop as tiny as possibly; they will continue to move for quite some time. They will "re-group" into clumps even after cut, and larvae sometimes choke on these. A commercial worm feeder may help (basket with tiny holes, often called Tubifex worm feeder) or you can swish them about from time to time. Best, Frank

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I like to chop them on a paper plate or towel with a sharp knife/blade. The plate makes it so they don't slide around so much while you're trying to cut them.

hacelepues

Reaction score
Awesome. Thanks for all the advice! I've noticed some chasing the daphnia, so they're looking hungry now!

One last question... can larvae eat copepods? Because there are lots in their tubs as well (just from when I initially took the eggs out of the tank I'm sure).

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Copepods have been known to injure small larvae, but those that are a little more advanced shouldn't be bothered by them.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
They're carnivorous, and 'cluster feeders'. I don't think they would pose a problem to anything other than new hatchlings that can't get away fast enough.

hacelepues

Reaction score
They aren't eating the worms! AGH!

If the worms get close to them they swim away. I don't know what to do :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1