Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My Axolotl won't eat?

m0ra

Reaction score

_MG_1535 by qolorfu, on Flickr

My Axolotl, 'Alotl' ^^ has not eaten in 3 days, although my other Axie has been feeding fine.
I've attempted to feed him every day, and I have spent almost an hour attempting to feed him today, and on the rare occassion that he grabs the earthworm off of me, he regurgiates it instantly, and he's been doing that for the past 3 days.

He's not a juvie, he'll be about 2 1/2 years old now, and I've tried him on various sizes of earthworm ranging from giant to small.

Before this he was eating the large size normally, without any issue.

Help guys? I'm getting worried now.

m0ra

Reaction score
Also I'm aware of his badly damaged gills, I rescued him from a home where he and the other Axolotl I have were in a .. get this.. 35 L tank.... And they were being mistreated badly as you can see.
I've got them in a 125L long tank now though and they're happier than ever :D

Chirple

Reaction score
If he's an adult, it's normal for them to not eat every day - and with a worm a day, he may be very full !

Does he look to be a healthy weight ? Does he look like he needs to poop ? Has he been pooping regularly ? Any changes in that ?

Is anything else different ? How are the water parameters ?

BIGBODYBEAR

Reaction score
have you given him something else to eat like meal worms or crickets? bloodworms ?

my big guy doesnt like earthworms of any kind at all , he will bit & spit them out immediately even if he hasnt eat for days , but if i throw in a couple of meal worms or small crickets he will turn into jaws lol

try changing his diet for a bit

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1