Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl or Hunting Dog???

thorneinmyside

Reaction score
Okay this probably sounds weird... but i noticed my axie walking along the bottom and seeming to "sniff" the ground. I have sand substrate and he wasnt opening his mouth to eat it so idk what he was doing....then he went behind a rock and it looked like he tried burying his head but culdnt then kept "sniffing".. Meanwhile my other axie is goin crazy, swimming back and forth along the short side of the tank like shes trying to get out? my other one who was sniffing was swimming along the side earlier today. its like theyre trying to reach something outside their tank. so between the "sniffing" and the crazed swimming..idk whats up with them?

Chirple

Reaction score
Have you ever fed blackworms ?

They have a good sense of smell, and might be sniffing them if there's some in the substrate that "got away" the first time. Mine sniffs even when there's nothing there, probably smelling where food once was.

How long have they been in there ? Is the swimming frantic or leisurely ?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!