Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl - hasn't eaten for 3 weeks!

Palmz

Reaction score
Hello,

My 1,5 yo axolotl has been acting very strange for the last three to four weeks. She usually eats anything I give her, but now she refuses everything. I've tried worms, feeder fish, beef, raw fish and prawn. When I offer her the food, she comes closer to investigate, but doesn't even snap at it.

The water parameters have remained the same and in safe ranges for the last year or so, accrording to my test slips.

At first I though she had dug up a pebble from under the sand, cause she had a bulge near her hind legs. The bulge seems to have passed through tho. This was three weeks ago, when she first refused to eat. So, as a precaution, I frigded her for a week and with no result put her back in the fish tank. The latest update is that she goes to gulp some air every 6 hours, which is unusual for her, since she used to do that sometimes not even once a day. She appears to get some weird spasms while doing so.

Regardless of everything said before, she remains somewhat active and her body is completely normal (maybe a bit skinnier). That's why I originally thought her not eating isn't a big deal. I feel like I've tried everything I'm able to do and so I turn to you, the people of Caudata. I really don't want to lose her...:(

Chirple

Reaction score
Do you have access to a better test kit or a pet store that offers free testing ?

The slips are notorious for not being very accurate or reliable, unfortunately - so there might be a problem they are not telling you about.

Palmz

Reaction score
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1