Why did my axolotl die?

pinksparkle35

Reaction score
Country
England
hi there i was wondering if anyone could help me! well i bought an axolotl last week and she was really active for the first 2 days but on the 3rd day i woke up and she had this white stuff all over her tail. i went to the pet shop where i got her from and had my water tested (which was fine) and asked them what the stuff was on her tail and could it be fungal or something??? they compleatly dismised that and told me that she was just sheading and there was no need to panic just keep an eye on it. i asked if she was likely to just drop dead and he said no she wont it will take time if she is sick. i tryed to feed her that night and she wasnt intreasted at all so took the food out of her tank. she was alive on the 4th morning but when i got home from work she was dead :(

she was in a 60lt tank with filter and air pump, large gravel and 1 plant.
please could anyone give me an answer to what happend?

hi there i was wondering if anyone could help me! well i bought an axolotl last week and she was really active for the first 2 days but on the 3rd day i woke up and she had this white stuff all over her tail. i went to the pet shop where i got her from and had my water tested (which was fine) and asked them what the stuff was on her tail and could it be fungal or something??? they compleatly dismised that and told me that she was just sheading and there was no need to panic just keep an eye on it. i asked if she was likely to just drop dead and he said no she wont it will take time if she is sick. i tryed to feed her that night and she wasnt intreasted at all so took the food out of her tank. she was alive on the 4th morning but when i got home from work she was dead :(

sorry for your loss. did you manage to take any photos of the axie before she died?

Firstly sorry to hear about your axie :(

The white stuff on her tail sounds like fungus, was it cotton wool like???

You say large gravel how big is large?? Anything smaller than an axolotls head will get digested by them and can cause impaction. Axies need to be kept on bare bottomed tanks or aquarium / play sand this is the best substrate for them! Gravel causes impaction and hides a lot of waste that gets trapped in it and fouls the water quickly.

What were the pet shop and you feeding her??

From the sounds of it she probably was not kept in the right conditions at the pet shop so dont blame yourself for this!

Let me know on the above and sorry again for your loss!

Firstly sorry to hear about your axie :(

The white stuff on her tail sounds like fungus, was it cotton wool like???

You say large gravel how big is large?? Anything smaller than an axolotls head will get digested by them and can cause impaction. Axies need to be kept on bare bottomed tanks or aquarium / play sand this is the best substrate for them! Gravel causes impaction and hides a lot of waste that gets trapped in it and fouls the water quickly.

What were the pet shop and you feeding her??

From the sounds of it she probably was not kept in the right conditions at the pet shop so dont blame yourself for this!

Let me know on the above and sorry again for your loss!

hi, thanks for getting back to me. yes it was like cotton wool. i am so annoyed that the pet shop just fobbed me off when i said i thought it might be fungal.

its more like pebels than gravel and is much bigger than the head.

live blood worms but she only ate with me once :(

thank you

hi, thanks for getting back to me. yes it was like cotton wool. i am so annoyed that the pet shop just fobbed me off when i said i thought it might be fungal.

its more like pebels than gravel and is much bigger than the head.

live blood worms but she only ate with me once :(

thank you

No problem! From the photos I cant see any fungus but her tail did not look in good shape and also nor did the axie! She looks skinny and gills also did not look great so am guessing she was not kept in great conditions in the shop!

Also if you do decide to get another one (might be worth buying one from here or a trusted breeder) please use sand or a bare bottomed tank as the gravel you had her on not only is a bit sharp (axies have very delicate skin) but it can also easily be ingested and cause impaction!

Please dont let this put you off, axies are a great pet and fascianting to own :D

Last edited by a moderator:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back