Baby Axolotl food?

DerpyAxolotl

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Derpolotl
Hello!

I am getting my first axolotls soon. They will be about 2-2.5 cm. I'm not sure what to feed them! :confused: Please answer as soon as you can!

- Derpolotl

ive never had really small axolotls & i just got 3 inchers two weeks ago & i got them feeding on frozzen bloodworms , chopped earthworms & really tiny guppies .my little guys are mean as **** tho & snap at anything that swims past their critter cages, even at the big tiger salamander larvae i have lol

i heard daphnia are good with a low water level for the axys to snap them up quick , chopped blood worms but you might have to wave them infront of their faces since they might not have a good sense of smell yet ,

Blackworms until they're big enough for earthworms.

You'll either have to fish out all the tiny ones (use a turkey baster!), or chop up bigger ones. Do that on a paper plate or paper towel, with a really sharp straight edge blade.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back