Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Rescue Mission

randomcapitals

Reaction score
Meet Lumos the Second
I wasn't sure I was ready for a new axolotl so soon after the death of my last baby but as soon as I saw this little sweetheart I fell in love. S/he has been in the wars. One toe is half missing and two of the gills on the right side of the head are also gone. I'm hoping with the right care I can nurse Lumos back to health. What I'm a bit worried about is the white marks around the mouth and what appears to be a bit of skin peeling away from the lips. Any ideas as to what it might be?

Lumos currently seems happy snuggling up to the ice bottle or laying on top of the filter and has eaten the feeders that were cycling the tank prior to me bringing her home. I don't know that I have all the skill needed to rehabilitate an axolotl but I couldn't leave it there to lord knows what fate.
All suggestions gratefully accepted.

randomcapitals

Reaction score
Attempting to upload a photo that shows the white mouth.
DSC02711.jpg
Okay, hopefully that's worked.
Any ideas about what it is and how I should treat it?
Thanks for any help-random the worried axie-mum

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It looks like it may have been an injury.

I would keep her as cool as possible (in the fridge, if needed). You can also try tea baths or almond leaves in the water, which are both good topical treatments for skin issues.

randomcapitals

Reaction score
Thanks, Kaysie. That would make sense given her other complaints. I've popped her in the fridge for the time being and I've got an appointment with the vet tonight. Fingers crossed it's nothing too serious.

randomcapitals

Reaction score
Overnight Lumos's lips puffed up until the white patches looked like large blisters.
We've been to the vet and after taking some swaps he's diagnosed a bacterial infection, probably the result of an unhealed wound.
He removed the white skin and underneath the skin is very red and angry looking. Under the microscope he also found a couple of strands of opertunistic fungus with the potential to cause major problems given the presence of the bacteria is already weakening her skin.
Normally he would suggest salt bathsto kill the fungus spores but apparently he feels it would be best to hit this hard from the get go. So the treatment for the bacteria is a combination of a week in the fridge with a course of oral antibiotics and a 15 second dip in a weak solution of malachite green once a day for three days. This should give her the best chance of fighting off both the bacteria and the fungus.

My Lottie

Reaction score
Wow, " randomcapitals", you sure have taken on a rescue mission !! :eek:

You are lucky to have a vet handy that knows about axies :p, and "Lumos" is SOoooo lucky to have you to care for him/her! :D

Wishing you all the best for your future, and keep us all informed...:happy:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Malachite green contains copper. This can be very dangerous for axolotls. I strongly recommend bringing this up with your vet before proceeding.

randomcapitals

Reaction score
Yes, the vet was very specific with his instructions re: Malachite green because it is so toxic. It's a solution of 0.2ml in one litre of treated water for 15 seconds then immediately back into fresh water and only the three baths 24 hrs apart. He feels this should treat the problems without hurting Lumos. He said that salt baths would be the preferred treatment in normal circumstances. And I certainly wouldn't recommend anybody follow this course without vetinary supervision (the ratio was calculated after taking her weight and condition into account). I'm following his advice to the letter because I want to give the poor little thing the best possible chance.
Funny enough, she's okay with her dip in the green but really hates her medication. But then I'd probably hate having a syringe stuffed down my throat too. She's shown no interest in food since treatment began but I put that down to life in the fridge combined with antibiotics. Hopefully her appetite will pick up again once she's back in her tank next week.

randomcapitals

Reaction score
So Lumos has finished her course of treatment and so far so good. There is no visible sign of fungus and alothough her lips remain white the skin is no longer peeling and the redness is significantly reduced. I even think I can see a tiny stub of gill feather sprouting-though that might be wishful thinking on my part.
She's back in her tank but is yet to eat since her fridging. I'm hoping she'll start showing interest in food again soon. She can't grow back her bits if she isn't eating well.

randomcapitals

Reaction score
Yay, this morning Lumos ate! :D
She took a few snaps at a cube of frozen (thawed) beef heart and brine shrimp. Though a bit came out as she chewed I think most of it went down. Hopefully this means she'll start gaining weight-I think she's a bit thin.
Today I'll pick up some worms or gupppies and see if her interest continues.

zoezakella

Reaction score
Yay, this morning Lumos ate! :D
She took a few snaps at a cube of frozen (thawed) beef heart and brine shrimp. Though a bit came out as she chewed I think most of it went down. Hopefully this means she'll start gaining weight-I think she's a bit thin.
Today I'll pick up some worms or gupppies and see if her interest continues.

Good news on Lumos well done :)

Just stick with good old earthworms (this should be her staple diet), feeder fish can bring even more problems along, also they need quarantining before being given to your axie and after the problems you have had with her I would keep it all nice and simple :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1