Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Best way to dispose of unhatched/malformed eggs?

forester

Reaction score
Out of Swarley's 500+ eggs, only about 30 or 40 are actually showing correct development. The rest appear, although I have kept them until this point to insure that they are not in fact viable, to be duds. So what is the best way to get rid of them?

hacelepues

Reaction score
Well, are they moldy looking ? If not then I'd hold onto them a little longer and see.

If they are moldy, I'd just flush them.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Freeze them for 3 weeks (to kill any potential parasites and nasties) and then they can be disposed of in the household trash.

forester

Reaction score
I haven't given up on them yet, but I just wanted to know what to do when I am ready to call it. The eggs are cloudy and starting to make the water look bad as well. The ones that are clearly developing well were moved out of that container a week ago, and their water is perfectly clear.

Thanks for the info!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1