Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help with imported flower stowaway

haley

Reaction score
My friends at a local flower shop received a little one-eyed surprise on the bird of paradise they imported from South America and sent him home with me today. They've had him for over two weeks and have put crickets in, but they don't know if he's eaten. I've had newts/salamanders before, but I didn't know if there was anything special/specific I should do for this fella.

sal.jpg

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
That's a Bolitoglossa. I couldn't begin to tell you which species though. Here's a link to the photo gallery; you can browse through and see if any species fit the bill. It's helpful if you know what area it was collected from. Maybe your friend can remember if it was written on the packaging or something.

These guys are extremely rare in the pet trade, and usually don't thrive long in captivity. What is your setup like?

You could also try contacting Dick Bartlett. He's quite the expert on tropical herps (and bugs and all manner of things). He may be able to point you in the right direction.

Last edited:

haley

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. I went through a Bolitoglossa gallery on another site but couldn't seem to match him up. Maybe this one will help. I want to say this batch was from Mexico.

I just brought him home, so I haven't set anything up yet; I wanted to make sure there weren't any wildly different environment needs before I put something together so I didn't have to end up relocating him twice. He's currently in a small tank with a chunk of moss (what they had him in at their shop).

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The best setup for these guys is something with lots of foliage and 'levels', and a big moisture gradient. You can try stacking up cork-bark and misting the substrate (not the bark) so the bottom is damper than the top. I think almost all of these species are arboreal, so I would definitely try to grow some plants (pothos is a good ol' standby).

Hopefully someone with more information will see this. I know Tim Teharman has kept this species at the zoo, as has Ed K., I think.

Good luck!

nwmnnaturalist

Reaction score
Poor little guy! I'm sure he's had a very rough trip. Thanks for helping him out.

For something of that size, I would recommend getting Springtails or Drosophila melanogaster fruit flies. Ed's Fly Meat is an online store that I purchase mine from, and they are very reasonable in price and helpful.

Buying small potted plants requires a bit of careful practice. When I buy them, I wash the leaves and plant material off as much as possible, rinse them a few times afterwards and also change out as much soil as I can. That makes it less likely that chemicals are left behind that can harm them. You can also buy plants from growers that specifically grow plants for these situations.

You can substitute real plants for fake terrarium plants and plastic-based fake foliage until you have some good stock growing. Rinsing is still a good idea. For misting, I recommend distilled water. It's safer and also doesn't leave hard water stains!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1