Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Advice on plants

Jossie

Reaction score
I decided to start my war with plants again.
I have nothing against aquarium plants, they're so pretty and lush.
It's just that aquarium plants have problems with me.

My yellow ivy is the only aquarium plant that I've kept alive for over a year and it has reduced itself to a stalk with a single leaf.

So, I'm trying a new species (Other than the Indestructaba artificicus)
No idea what it is, but hopefully it won't die.

Anyone have any suggestions on keeping plants alive?
Or suggestions of easy plants to add?

Edit:
All new things should be sat on. Instant success in Ax's book.
tumblr_lzvpunRFWk1qgtpi9o1_500.jpg

Last edited:

Martin21114

Reaction score
I don't know what's available to you, but I had a lot of success with java fern, red dwarf lilly, and onion plants. This is coming from someone who's killed house plants by the dozens. I have a black thumb, not a green one, and all the plants listed grew very well for me. I got all the plants from petco, a big chain we have in the USA. The java ferns were bought live, the others were from a package of bulbs.

Jossie

Reaction score
This is the awkward moment when I mention that I have killed a java fern before,

Chirple

Reaction score
Do you use and fertilisers ? What kind of lighting do you have ?

Your plants looks like maybe ludwigia to me, I've had good luck with it. :)

When the plants die, how does it happen ? Are there and "symptoms" ? I have had trouble with algae killing my plants before I realised what was happening.

And that's such a cute picture. :D

Jossie

Reaction score
Thank you all.

I use/have no fertilizers.
I have sand as substrate and the tank gets some natural light. It is in a fairly well lit position, enough that I have various patches of algae growing in the tank.

The last plant just kinda fell apart. It continuously was dropping "leaves" in the tank and then it just stopped growing.

Maybe there isn't enough light in the tank?
I have a lamp, but I've never used it because I'm afraid that it'll heat up the tank or be too bright (I've never even plugged the ting in. It sits on the shelf under the tank literally collecting dust).

I should also mention that Ax leaves the plants alone other than for sitting.

natjobe

Reaction score
Definitely keep to the low light plants to start. Med to high light plants need high output full spectrum bulbs. Anubis nana, some crypts like crypt lucens, cryptocoryne wendtii "tropica" are great low light plants. I am trying some med light ones like the marble queen, eleocharis montevidensis and echinordorus "ozelot" . There are tons of web sites that help you find appropriate plants. All my plants are just in sand but you can do substrate layering. Also tons of info on the web for that. I also have house plants in my filters which help keep the tank healthy, I use peace lily, trying bamboo and vine (can't remember the name right now). They just root onto the foam filter media. Plants are fun! :D

Chirple

Reaction score
Maybe just not getting enough light. Even low-light plants can struggle with only ambient light - and house lights don't put out as much usable light as ones created for the purpose of mimicking daylight + plant growth.

Do you have a tank hood for the lamp ? If not, I'd get one if you want. It's an investment, but not too bad. Mine + light was only $33.

If possible, find a pet store where they really know their stuff so they can help you pick out a light ( + fixture if necessary). :)

How big is your tank ? I use a compact grow bulb on my guppy tank, and it's going pretty well, but the tank is only 10g - it wouldn't work on my 20 long nearly as well - and the guppy tank is SUPER low light.

I just have a regular full-spectrum bulb - though I'll be changing to a plant grow one when it's up for a change.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!