"No Planaria" treatment WARNING

RuthiePee

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I put this in the "sick axolotl" part of the forum, but thought I'd post it here too...

Update on the "No Planaria" treatment... I'd read on this forum that others had used it with their axies without any problems.....

Of my two treated tanks containing 5 originally healthy axies in total... since treating with "No Planaria" roughly 3 weeks ago I now have 2 axies that are barely alive. The other three were taken out of the tanks as they were floating or lifelessly lying at the bottom on their sides/upside down & fridged but didn't survive.
I have never felt so sad or so guilty. I'm expecting the two remaining to die today as they haven't eaten for days and look like something from the end of the film E.T. all powdery looking and grey.

I am 90% convinced that No Planaria caused this, and I am advising everyone here that this treatment should be avoided.

Totally devastated....

I don't know why people hate planaria so much. Good indicator of a healthy tank! Sorry for your losses.

I know, I was just a bit squeamish about putting my hand in the tank with the planaria floating about...the tank is kept scrupulously clean, I syphon off all poops and excess food after each feeding and was shocked when I saw planaria (I had them in a tank I had with a freshwater puffer years ago) but looking at the whole picture now I prefer them to no Axolotls that's for sure! I will never use anything like it again...that's if I ever have more axolotls I don;t feel like I should right now as the guilt is too much...there is only one survivor now and he's hanging on by a thread :'(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back