Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My filter quit!

Silver

Reaction score
I was doing a water change on my tank yesterday, and my filter just quit. Plugged in, it's not making a sound- in the water or out of it. I have no idea what's going on. Any idea how to fix it?

(On a side note, I heard axolotls don't like water movement, but Levi's favorite spot is just under the filter intake :confused:)

Colinna

Reaction score
My Axi's play in the air bubbles so I guess it depends on the Axi.

As for your filter. Try pulling it apart and cleaning the impellor. Sometimes they get full of gunk and will no longer spin. How old is the filter? Could it still be under warranty?

binkiesbuns

Reaction score
If its the impeller I agree with Colinna and a good clean can sort that out!. If you hear no power going through the filter atall though it could be the fuse in the plug has blown so I'd try that too. If all fails and you have to get a new filter I'd suggest transferring the media out of your broken one straight to it (assuming its still in the tank and hasnt dried out), you'll be less likely to suffer from a cycle crash that way.:happy:

Silver

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I gave it a good cleaning- plugged it in and it sputtered for a minute or two and then died again. Took it all apart again, dried it, put it back together, filled it with water, and got it to run by cupping the intake while I poured water into it. Don't know what was wrong in the first place, but my water is crystal clear now!

Gromky

Reaction score
Impellers are often a pain. Especially as things wear out. If a filter doesn't start, reach down and bump the impeller (with a finger, or a toothpick, or any other appendage you'd like some friction upon), and it will probably start going. They rely on precise timing, which seems to work less often as a filter ages.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1