Question: Regeneration of hand

axolotl newbie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Anna
One of my month old axolotls has had his hand bitten off by a sibling. He is easily the biggest so I was quite surprised. Any idea how long it will take to grow back and do I need to give him any special care?

If your axie is only a month old it should regenerate fairly fast... maybe 4 weeks or so. The only thing you should do is make sure it doesn't get infected or fungus. Keep an eye out for white fluffly stuff on it. If you find any then a salt bath is in order. But it should heal up just fine on its own with clean water and a good diet. :)

I just separated them into individual tubs as another has lost his whole arm :(
Their arms are still transparent so it's hard to see if there's any white fluff. The stump does look white but I noticed the intact arm is white at the elbow too so it might just be that.

How much salt would I use if they do need salt baths? And how long and how often?

As long as the water is kept cool they should be fine. It's extremely common with younger axies.

That's good to know. Thanks for your replies. I was also wondering what age they should be found homes. I have 10 which I have reared from eggs and am only planning to keep 2 in my 3ft tank.

Usually by the time they've fully developed their back legs, they're able to withstand the rigors of shipping.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back