Question: Coloration

vladimere

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
vladimere
Just a quick question has anyone ever got a copper axie from a golden albino and a black colored wild type sorry there is no pics but the system is refusein to let me upload i've tried so many times in the past few months Anyway the lil fellow is gold like his dad wth blue type colored spots all over him he also has the albino eyes any information or help by a breeder close by to help me identify what it is i have would be greatly appreciated

It's possible, but probably not in the way that you're thinking. Axolotls aren't paint: you can't just mix two together and get colors that are in between.

Instead, both parents carry a variety of genes which combine to make different colors, which may or may not be anywhere close to the parents' colors. For instance, a leucistic and a golden albino can have all wildtype offspring.

The gene for 'copper' is on shaky ground in regards to how it's passed on, but it's definitely a heritable trait.

There are also mutations that can pop up and don't fit into defined categories.

Thank you kaysie if i could get a pic up it wouldve been a lot easier still trying to work out why i cnt get it up atm but thank you for your advice in it

hopefully this worked

Attachments

• lueys new home 013.jpg
    lueys new home 013.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 325
Those are interesting bumps along your Axolotl's torso. Is that normal?

bumps lol he has none at all there is alot of blue dots on him tho and like his/her dad two lines of white/gold flecks. this is luey's mum and dad mystic and stumpy dads gold albino

Attachments

• kerri tits 002.jpg
    kerri tits 002.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 383
  • lueys new home 004.jpg
    lueys new home 004.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 280
For your 1st photo, I've seen 1 exactly like that posted somewhere here before + that axolotl had a brother / sister that was the exact opposite of it (so the body colour of 1 was the spot colour on the other + vice versa) ;)
Not even sure where to start looking for that thread though, sorry.
But, I've never seen an axie like your black 1 though - very nice :D
(well, they're both very nice, but the black 1 gets the novelty factor too)

(And, I think Gazer is talking about the 2 rows of bright dots that run nearly parallel along the body - they look like lights on a plane landing strip, LoL!)

landing lights lol leuy's father mystic has them dwon his side as well n the black axie thats luey;s mum stumpy(missing a foot first got her) her mother was a harliquin so i'll never get rid of her n out of all the 100's of babies we had golden albinos two like stumpy but they ddnt make it n only 4 like luey...........wishing i kept them too now n thanks mojo

The "bumps" are the sensory pits that make the lateral line, just like in fish. It´s perfectly normal.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back